Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Charter Member
1,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to post some pics of moving my Lokar E-Brake to the Tranny tunnel. I had originally planned to leave it in the stock location but after one go-kart ride of having to remove the seat belt to reach it, I said no way. Also like the idea of actually being able to use it as an E-Brake if my brakes were to fail.

It did take some work and minor fabrication, and has slowed me down like all this little extra crap does, but definitely worth it. Want to give special thanks and credit to LuisO and Smackdown Hotel for their original ideas doing this, help, pics, and part numbers.
Raul

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
Raul:
Great looking alternative to mounting the ebrake in the stock position. If you could post the exact positions of the Lokar(ie. setback from the tranny cross member) or some other position and the numbers of the Lokar cables, that would be appreciated. Like the fact that no welding was involed for us weld challenged builders. Have a Fiero eBrake and would like to see if I can do a similar mount. Thanks for sharing the information.

Allan

·
Sr FFR builder
5,565 Posts
Good job, JB,

BTW, did you also drill a third hole on the diagnal brace on the tunnel to fasten 3rd bracket (front left side of Lokar handle)? You diagram does not suggest that. Here is what I am referring to:

Because most of the force will be on the front brackets, you want to use both front brackets to get as much leverage as possible.

A few more tips before you button it up. I noticed that you have both the mounting "L" brackets facing up or inverted as I would like to say, which gives the handle a low profile stance. I am not sure that is a good idea. the problem is that you are mounting the handle below the 3/4" frame tube and that cuts into the space underneath the handle. Add the thickness of the aluminum panel and carpet or whatever you are covering panel with and before you know it, you can't get your fingers around the handle. That is why I inverted only the rear bracket. This pitches the handle up just enough to get your fingers around but not look like the brakes are engaged. Here is what I am talking about:

If you noticed, I had to grind down a bit of the handle frame at the front of the frame because the angle that was created by the bracket orientation caused the handle frame to protrude past the 3/4" frame tubes and would interfere with the aluminum panel.

HTH,

·
FFCobra Craftsman
1,626 Posts
I don't get any of JB pictures, just red X's. How well will the handle seal in this configuration?
Will the boot seal well enough to keep heat and fumes out?

·
Sr FFR builder
5,565 Posts
Big,

The handle will seal no worse that the boot for the shifter. But for the record, It should keep heat and fumes out just fine. I contacted Mike Everson and had him make me a special trim ring. He sells them regularly now with a boot. It looks like it was factory made:

Sorry that is the best picture I have now. I will take a specific picture later and repost.

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
J_B, the pics are not showing, I guess you ran out of bandwidth with bellsouth... Use the new tool!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.