Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have struggled and struggled trying to get my e-brake to reset/install. I have a '94 thru '98 Mustang e-brake (via ebay) and cannot seem to get the spring reset like the instructions here:

http://www.ffcars.com/forums/showthread.php?t=201168&highlight=ebrake+set

I have the same small hole, but I cannot pull the spring back this much to set the pin. Compound this with the fact that my brake lines look way too long. I have what appears to be a 8.8in rear end with drum brakes. (I bought the kit partially assembled and don't have all the details).

Here's some pics of my e-brake and I need HELP!!!!!

thanks all

·
Unconventional Builder
5,498 Posts
I didn't have to do that proceedure. I just cranked the handle with resistence at the cable end and it seemed to self adjust itself. Mine is a fox body handle from craigs list. There are differences in the ebrake cables and their mounting points. Check out this:

http://www.ffcars.com/forums/showthread.php?t=233517

See if you can find a forum member in your area, they can be very helpful both in looking at their car and perhapse a visit to you.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Not sure how to help you with the spring problem but the cables are pretty simple. FFR designed the ebrake location such that you need to run the cables under the large 4" round frame member so that the ebrake handle pulls from the bottom. When routed under the car like this, the extra length should be just enough for the cables to reach up to the back of the ebrack

As you will see from the thread below (you will see a lot of discussion on this if you search the forum for "ebrake"), this is the recommendation from FFR. In fact, I must admit to some surprise when I toured their site and saw that all of the cars in their showroom were configured this way.

http://www.ffcars.com/forums/showthread.php?t=214679&highlight=emergency+brake+cable

Some people (including myself) found that the location of the ebrake handle made it hard to reach while belted in so there are a number of posts on the forum that describe options to relocate/change the whole ebrake setup. Not sure if this is within the scope of your plans but it is worth looking at.

I'm not sure if I still have the Ford ebrake lying around but with the large number of people who have converted to Lokar, I am sure you can get a really good deal on the forum for a brand new one. If you choose this route, simply post your request in the "for sale/wanted" section.

HTH
Todd

·
We know what you're up to
4,700 Posts
Well, I do not have a good picture, but I will tell you that I had to do the same thing. When I first installed my handle and pulled the pin it pulled too far for my taste. There is a notch next to the pin hole on the part connected to the spring that I was able to strong arm with a big screwdriver. I did this to rotate the spring back to where it lined back up with the pin hole and re-insterted the pin. Luckily I only had to move my about 3/4" to line back up. If anymore, I would have had to get more creative.

HTH

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I didn't have to do that proceedure. I just cranked the handle with resistence at the cable end and it seemed to self adjust itself. Mine is a fox body handle from craigs list. There are differences in the ebrake cables and their mounting points. Check out this:

http://www.ffcars.com/forums/showthread.php?t=233517

See if you can find a forum member in your area, they can be very helpful both in looking at their car and perhapse a visit to you.
Well my car is in the middle of Kansas so I doubt any members are nearby. Salina KS isn't exactly bubbling with members.

Not sure how to help you with the spring problem but the cables are pretty simple. FFR designed the ebrake location such that you need to run the cables under the large 4" round frame member so that the ebrake handle pulls from the bottom. When routed under the car like this, the extra length should be just enough for the cables to reach up to the back of the ebrack

As you will see from the thread below (you will see a lot of discussion on this if you search the forum for "ebrake"), this is the recommendation from FFR. In fact, I must admit to some surprise when I toured their site and saw that all of the cars in their showroom were configured this way.

http://www.ffcars.com/forums/showthread.php?t=214679&highlight=emergency+brake+cable

Some people (including myself) found that the location of the ebrake handle made it hard to reach while belted in so there are a number of posts on the forum that describe options to relocate/change the whole ebrake setup. Not sure if this is within the scope of your plans but it is worth looking at.

I'm not sure if I still have the Ford ebrake lying around but with the large number of people who have converted to Lokar, I am sure you can get a really good deal on the forum for a brand new one. If you choose this route, simply post your request in the "for sale/wanted" section.

HTH
Todd
I don't mind the location, but the route under the 4" frame had me confused for awhile. I'll try that to shorten up the cables, otherwise it looks like a trip to Autozone.

Thanks all!

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well apparently I'm an idiot. I FINALLY followed the brake line route directions of running the lines UNDER the cross member and it lines up perfrectly. Pulled the handle back and SUCCESS!!!!

Thanks ALL!

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Nope, you are not an idiot! We have all been there :blush:. For what it is worth, I spent 2 hours staring at the back of my differential trying to figure out how to get the "c" clips in (they hold the axles from falling out). When I finally figured it out it seemed so obvious that I was mad at myself for another 2 hours.

Congrats!

Well apparently I'm an idiot. I FINALLY followed the brake line route directions of running the lines UNDER the cross member and it lines up perfrectly. Pulled the handle back and SUCCESS!!!!

Thanks ALL!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts