Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
FFCobra Fanatic
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dyno Tune Motorsports (The same guys that took the dyno to DVSF) from Columbus, OH was in my town over the weekend. Even though FFR #2084K has an engine that is pretty much stock, I thought I'd give it a try.

The engine specs are as follows:

'90 Mustang 5.0 HO
E303 Cam
Smog Pump removed
No Cats
Power steering pump
Stock intake
Stock ignition
Stock pulleys

MPG With Sound

My friend's C5 dyno'd at over 300 HP.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Not bad for mostly stock.

Using the old rule of thumb 210 rwhp / 0.85 = 247 at the flywheel. I have no clue whether the rule of thumb is accurate, but everybody uses it

I'm going to take mine in to the local dyno shop soon. The seat-of-the-pants feel is so different from my old mustang that I want some hard info on where my shift points ought to be...

·
FFCobra Craftsman
2,076 Posts
Yeah no kidding, if I can put over 200 down to the rear wheels I'll be a happy camper.

Did you grind out the thermactor bumps from the exhaust ports?

·
FFCobra Fanatic
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nope. It is bone stock except for the cam.

I would, however, appreciate suggestions on how to boost HP to ~310. My friend with the C5 is being nice, but we both know that I can't let this disparity stand.

·
Premium Member
3,886 Posts
Wade,

Very interesting! The E cam is pretty good, so heads really are the limiting factor then.

I dyno'ed mine a couple weeks ago:
Stock 1990 5.0, about 70,000 miles on it
K&N Filter
MAC equal-length headers, j-pipes, FFR sidepipes
Air pump removed
Power steering pump
Stock intake, cam heads, EFI
Mobil 1 synthetic oil
Initial Timing 14 degrees

I only got one run, pulled 208 HP, 268 torque.
They said that was pretty good for a stocker, maybe the cool air helped (about 60 degrees that day).

Forrest

·
FFCobra Fanatic
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Do you guys think a pair of GT40P heads would get me there, or should I be thinking aluminum heads to reach ~310?

·
FFCobra Craftsman
2,076 Posts
While I'm a long way from an expert, if I had to tear down my engine to put in heads, I'd bite the bullet and put the aluminum in. If you put in GT40P heads now then want to change them again later, that's just more $$$ in gaskets, materials, and tons of time.

Also, considered saving up for a 351? That's what I'm dreaming of after I get my car on the road for a while.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Wade...why don't you ask Gordon?? I know you can EASILY get 300+ RWHP out of a 302...even without a blower...and I betcha Gordon knows how to do it. Get some good heads...you REALLY don't want to pull 'em twice! Call Ed Curtis at FTI..1-401-828-9302 or go to the corral and ask them. Just remember the engine is a complete system...when you change the heads, you gotta feed that beast with more air/fuel. ;) dino

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Wade.....Cubes are the way without a blower/nitrous, I'd save for a 351 stroked to 392 then the little yellow C5 would see those Lucas taillights every time. Gordon will probablt back this up when you really look at the dollars, turn your 302 over on eBay when you're ready. GT40P heads will only get you uo to 285 or so, lotta bucks for 40HP!

Grumpy

·
Administrator
8,070 Posts
Heads will do very little without Intake, TB, MA, Injectors and fuel pump. Just install the heads and youll be at 220-230rhp. Its the combo that counts.

If you get a properly matched package, you'll be around 300rwhp give or take.

Underdrive pulleys will give you a good 10 hp at the wheels for about $100.00

David

·
FFCobra Fanatic
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I don't think I'm ready to take the leap into the 351 stroker world yet. I like the idea of a matched package that is tried and true for the 302. Not looking to cut corners and sacrifice reliability. Not looking to experiment with unique combinations of exotic or expensive parts.

·
Administrator
8,070 Posts
Wade,

If you go with something like John Phillips just did, you will get great results!

AFR 165's,(or Edlebrock Performers) Eldbrock Performer, or FMS Cobra Intake. 65mn Throttle body, 75mm Pro M mass air and 24 lb injectors. You should be easily over 300 rwhp and that will put you in Viper acceleration range. Way quicker than a stock C5 and a dead realiable combo!

David

·
FFCobra Fanatic
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
David:

Thanks! The good news is that John is doing a great job of documenting his build! No need to reinvent the wheel.

Wade

1 - 15 of 15 Posts