Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
FFCobra Fanatic
2,266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took the car to the dyno yesterday to test my nitrous install. It is adjustable from 75 - 150 shot. Currently set at a 100 shot. I'll post the actual graphs when I get them from the tuner via email - his link to the internet was down yesterday.

First pulled a baseline (*no nitrous*). The car dyno'd at 300hp and 325ft lbs torque at the wheels with a basic tune he did for me last year (SCT chip) with a dead flat 13.5/1 air/fuel.

He next tuned for the nitrous and burned a second tune to the chip (chip is 4-bank - can hold 4 different tunes). I have a switch I can switch between tunes. The coolest part about this is that you can switch between tunes "on the fly". I was skeptical so we tested it. I first did an N/A pull, switched it while the car was running and did a NOS pull. Works like a champ!

OK, so he did a very conservative tune. What he referred to as a "blower" tune. We didn't want to push it. Pulled 7 degrees of timing and tuned for a dead flat 11.0/1 air/fuel.

Even with that conservative tune she pulled a whopping 445 ft lbs of torque!! and 366 hp at the wheels!! Assuming a ~15% loss through the drivetrain that's 420hp and 511ftlbs! I know the tune left a lot of HP on the table but its much safer this way.

Think I have a new name for the car - Jeckle & Hyde!

If anyone is interested the install was a ton of work the way I did it. Includes 1st gear lockout, WOT switch, Fuel Pressure Safety Switch, and an adjustable Window Switch. Also includes a very cool pressure (vs. thermostatically) controlled bottle heater and a valve style remote opener.

With a lot of Dave Gratiano's help I/we also developed a really nice, small, control panel with all the necessary switches as well as two tiny custom digital electronic pressure displays - one for nitrous and one for fuel pressure. The displays are driven by remote stainless pressure sensors. The signal is massaged by a ciruit Dave developed which in turn drives the displays. More on this in the near future as I/we are planning to market this.

[ July 05, 2007, 07:26 AM: Message edited by: Matt Kennedy 2.0 ]

·
5,559 Posts
very cool, Matt! I'll look forward to seeing pics of the setup - especially the control panel.

Brian

·
Charter Member
6,161 Posts
I had nitrous on my old 302 265RWHP engine. It was great. I worked my way up to the 200hp shot. It's quite a rush going from 300hp to 500hp with the push of a button. I called it the "rocket booster"!! My engine was really tempermental after about the 125hp shot.

·
Charter Member
1,558 Posts
Matt,
Thats awesome. I'd love to bust on you with the"no dyno sheet, didnt happen" line, but I believe you. LOL

When is the big field test. I would love to be there for that. July 7 at Ft. Devens works for me. Oh wait that involves turning the sterring wheel. Scratch that.
Keep me posted.

·
Official Member of the Unofficial "First 500 Club"
3,007 Posts
Sounds cool Matt! BTW, good luck on the operation.

I'm glad to see a few Cobra owners doing the Devens auto-x. I used to be all alone up there. I have a wedding Saturday, but maybe I can get up there another time this year.

·
3 Generations on a MkIII
1,415 Posts
KEWL. I can understand no pics of the pull, BUT no pics of the "really nice, small, control panel with all the necessary switches as well as two tiny custom digital electronic pressure displays"...That's just EVIL. Come on man..throw a bone here..

Keep us in the loop with pics!

·
Charter Member
3,486 Posts
So Matt when are you going to take that new tune to the track. I may need to be there

·
FFCobra Fanatic
2,266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Probably a week from Friday. I first need to learn how to drive with the new drag tires. Once I get that down then the nitrous. I have a couple of educated guesses from a couple of experienced drag racers that suggest I may not be able to run both together without being asked to slow it down or install a roll cage which isn't likely.

So let's plan on a week from this coming Friday Rob.

[ July 05, 2007, 07:29 AM: Message edited by: Matt Kennedy 2.0 ]

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
Matt...66rwhp gain sounds like you used the 75HP settings ? But who can explain the huge 120rwhp jump in torque ?? Yikes ! Sounds like fun !

My 75 HP jets gained 63rwhp on a 76 degree dry day but the same jets gained 89rwhp on a 92 degree very humid day due to intake cooling effects of the nitrous. I take out 3 degrees for 75 and 4 for 100 while keeping my motor one extra degree retarded at the distributor. 3 yrs so far with no issues. The dyno shop in our area calls 75/100 "baby shots". Hey......not to me ..more than enough for a wake up call !

[ July 05, 2007, 09:23 AM: Message edited by: JAM1775 ]

·
FFR Master Builder
4,170 Posts
Matt that sounds sick. Hope all goes well for you this week, and maybe we will see you on Saturday.

·
Charter Member
3,486 Posts
Matt,
I'm thinking my next visit to the drags will be Friday the 20th.

·
Senior Charter Member
613 Posts
Which tuner did you use (I'm looking for one now)?

·
FFCobra Fanatic
2,266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
JAM,

I purposely left a lot of HP on the table with only running 11/1 AF and pulling 7 degrees of timing. I don't want any problems. It shows more in the HP than the TQ.

His name is Pete Johnson. The business is called Performance Dyno. He is located in Concord, NH about 30 mins north of the MA border right off route 93. He has a web site.

He drag races Ford products himself. He is very knowledgable and uses tools others typically do not like a real time data logger. I've heard more than once about other dyno owners sending people there when they get into trouble on a difficult tune. He is a SuperChips dealer. He is getting picky about what he tunes. He will try to determine over the phone whether your car is a peice of sh_ _. If thinks it is he probably won't take your business.

Rob, sounds good to me. I'm in.

·
Cougar
596 Posts
Are you sure that you shouldn't change the name of your ride to WHIPLASH??

1 - 15 of 15 Posts