Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Junior Charter Member
3,131 Posts
Use a breaker bar with an extension. Car should have brake on, rear wheels chocked and in 5th gear to keep crank from turning. If you don't have a breaker bar, a good 1/2 in socket wrench should work. Good luck. Pete

·
Premium Member
18,135 Posts
Impact wrench - air or electric.

·
4,342 Posts
Big 1/2" breaker bar. Slowly build force until it loosens. On an engine stand I wedged a BMF screwdiriver to the flywheel to prevent rotation.

·
Junior Charter Member
289 Posts
penetrating oil... give it a good soak, let it sit for a while and soak it again. A few times should help. then a long breaker bar, it allows you to use more force and control it alot more as well. As Jim said if the engine is out of the car make sure you prevent the flywheel from rotating and if it is in the car so what Pete said.

·
FFCobra Master Craftsman
1,170 Posts
Do as boB said.

With the impact wrench it's done in no time.
I had to change mine too and couldn't get it loose without it.

It's going to be interesting to get it back on too.

Good luck,

Olivier

·
Junior Charter Member
333 Posts
What's the engine rotation direction? It could be left handed thread and your efforts to loosen are actually tightening it. It's been a while since I played there and I can't remember, the last thing you want to do is snap it!!.

Peter

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.