Factory Five Racing Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Again thanks

JKleiner- Mark D. thanks for the correction , must not have had my glasses .
Will be posting more as I think of more. Now I want to check out the regional , see who is in Michigan and se if I can get an actual ride in a Cobra and then talk with that person/ persons and pick their brain. Excitement continues to build.

·
FFCobra Craftsman
6,103 Posts
I do not think you will have any problems finding good people, getting a ride etc. It sounds like you are in for a huge surprise - not only a ride in an FFR - but the people. You will find these cars are truly special - they attract some of the most incredible, talented, friendly, and helpful people out there. It is not just about great cars, but an incredible community of people who enjoy them.

·
Junior Charter Member
133 Posts
I had some of the same questions...I have been slower than most in my build ( 3 years as of July 7) and mine is not near as much of a work of art as some on the forum....BUT I AM OFF TO PAINT THIS WEEKEND! being a non-donor helps lots...folks like Mark Reynolds are a great resource. You just need persistance ... and don't uderestimate the bodywork!

I had no prior experience doing this sort of thing and there are a fair amount of these things in Michigan-I am in Novi but I am sure there are a few in Grand Rapids area (sorry..can't remember the names)

Good Luck and welcome...

·
3,760 Posts
First, the good news; There is nothing that has gotten beyond me in my build if I sit and stare at it long enough. I took the really hard route -- I built my own motor up from a bare junkyard block, by buying every smallblock Ford book I could find (plus a few others that generalized across brands). The last time I changed my own oil before buying my Roadster was in, oh, 1973 or so. I had to buy a lot of tools and get organized to do this, but it's been worth it. If you knew me before this project you would definitely say I could not do it. Now I'm go-karting once a week or so and annoying the neighbors while I work on the body.

Now the bad news, or more good news depending on how you look at it; I've been at this for over six years. Family obligations, tons of work obligations with lots of international travel, plus I do my own yardwork, plus I do all the household repairs and upkeep, plus I love to cook and therefore make maybe five or six all-out dinners a year for guests...on and on. And through it all, the hours I get in the garage are so incredibly valuable to me. I have enjoyed this project more than anything I've ever done. Over all that time I have never lost my enthusiasm, I just wish I could have a job where someone paid me to not work so I could spend more time in my garage.

You found FFR, you got the DVD and watched it and were amazed, and you found this forum. My friend, there is no saving you. You are on your way down the slippery slope that leads to the gratification of little accomplishments along the path towards one big accomplishment.

Good luck, let us know when you place the order. We'll help you spend your money, we're good at that.

AJ

PS when I started I absolutely PROMISED my bride that I could bring this project in for $27k or less. Guaranteed. I'm just short of $40k now as the car approaches completion but I don't regret any of that. This is going to be an amazing car to drive.

·
We know what you're up to
4,700 Posts
PS when I started I absolutely PROMISED my bride that I could bring this project in for $27k or less. Guaranteed. I'm just short of $40k now as the car approaches completion but I don't regret any of that. This is going to be an amazing car to drive.
Funny...that is all too familiar!!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
many thanks for input

Cobra NJ - still smirking about your reply , found it to be comical. Wanderer and Don Payne thanks for your input . Look forward to meeting people and hopefully getting my project under way. Wife thinks I am NUTS, I have a '67 Camaro and she thinks I should be totally happy with it. Hard to rationalize with someone who enjoys life in a Dodge Grand Caravan

·
Junior Charter Member
342 Posts
If you find yourself in the Detroit area drop me a line. I just dropped the body on, but it's not bolted down yet. Been buzzing the neighborhood in go kart for a while, but I'm hoping to get it "legal enough" in a month or so...hopefully in time for Woodward.

·
3,760 Posts
Grey Ghost, I'll add that my wife has kind of secretly come around a bit on the Roadster.

When I was thinking about it, it was "absolutely not." On the day I placed the order, it was "absolutely not" and there was a big brouhaha. Then came the parts orders -- $5k here, $7k there -- I tried to keep them organized and take huge hits because I figured having one huge row over a $7k purchase was a lot less painful than individual arguments over ten $700 purchases.

Then a funny thing happened. She let it slip that she didn't really want me to not have the car.

It was September 2008 and I worked at Lehman Brothers when it collapsed. My future was uncertain to say the least. I thought I could lose my job any day, I didn't know if my next paycheck would even arrive, and I decided that the only prudent thing to do to protect my family's interests was to sell my baby. I put an add on the forum here, pretty reasonable money, and I went to work organizing the car for a new buyer -- getting it ready for trailering, etc. I was out there doing this and she came out and sipped some wine while I was working. Then she completely stunned me when she said, "You cannot sell this car. You just shouldn't. We'll figure out a way." Then she went back in the house.

Nobody bought my car (thank God!!!) and as it happened, my employment situation worked out incredibly well. So eventually I let the ad get old and fade away and just kept on working on the car.

She still enjoys giving me crap about the time I spend out there, and she refuses to ride along with me when I go-kart, but I also know that when push came to shove she did not want me to sell.

Wives can be complicated creatures to understand. I guess they'd probably say the same about us. Anyway, think about unexpected flowers, or an unexpected movie date, or whatever pushes her buttons to help get past the pain of the initial order. It will be good practice because you'll be doing that a lot methinks.

·
Cobra Nutcase
1,633 Posts
You can do it. It's like putting a giant model together! The most I had done before my build was your basic fixes and bolt on mods to a fox body mustang.

·
FFR Cobra Craftsman
995 Posts
You found FFR, you got the DVD and watched it and were amazed, and you found this forum. My friend, there is no saving you. You are on your way down the slippery slope that leads to the gratification of little accomplishments along the path towards one big accomplishment.

This statemtent is the most true that has ever been spoken.
The fact that you showed enough interest to conact FFR and watch the DVD tells me that you are more than capable of building this car.
I was a mechanic (in a previous life), and I was very confident in my abilities to build this car.
I attended the build school just to get my game plan ready for my build, and there were many in the class who neve turned a wrench, and by the end of 3 days we built a car and it was driven in the parking lot (completed all but paint). This is done with a basic set of hand tools, not one air tool, and a cordless drill..... YOU CAN DO IT,,,,,, no doubt....

I have not had my kit very long, and I look forward to the days I work in my garage on the car.... I kind of plan a week or so ahead as to the day I want to work on it, I will make sure that all my "honeydos" are finished and away I go......This is more of a therapy for me to get away from a stressful job, life etc...... believe me you will not regret the decision to do this for one second.
You will learn more about yourself than you can imagine...

Good Luck

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
again thanks for the encouragement

Guys, Stang 6835, Cobra NJ, and rokfor thanksd for the input. Stang I hope to be at Woodward this Aug. If I do I will e-mail you and try to hook up. Only problem maybe the Camaro I will be driving. Cobra NJ sounds like you have an underatanding wife- congrats! If you are at Woodward w/ Stang 6835 will definitely look for you guys and intro. myself. Rokfor- if it were only as simple as a giant jigsaw puzzle -LOL. soundds great and the encouragement is appreciated.

·
FFCobra Craftsman
3,235 Posts
Grey Ghost,

From what I've read, you're hooked my friend. And just to give you an idea of what to look forward to........ I've been at this for over three years now. I just finished carpeting the car this past weekend and will be picking up the finished body this coming weekend. I still cannot stop thinking about this car and what I'm going to do next on it. That's why I'm up at 12:30 in the morning typing this. My mind won't shut down. My wife just looks at me, smiles and shakes her head.

I need to sleep!!! :sleep:

21 - 33 of 33 Posts