Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since our cars are plastic they accumulate a lot of static electricity which attracts lots of dust. I keep my car covered but as soon as I pull the cover the car attracts dust. Trying to remove the dust with a damp rag just moves it around.

Any suggestions on how remove the dust and how to reduce the static electricity "charge" on the car?

·
Registered
201 Posts
A household swiffer duster is your best friend. I use it on all my cars inside and out. Really does a super job on the dash and gauge cluster also. Forget the so-called California dusters...they leave an oily film and lint....

·
Junior Charter Member
736 Posts
Grounding the car helps with the static.
I wipe mine down with a detailer spray or spray wax. Right now I’m using Lucas Slick Mist.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,625 Posts
I use a California duster all the time, it doesn't leave a film or lint. I suspect the static is caused by the car cover. I don't use one, and have never experienced static on my car. Also try a good spray on, wiper off quick detailer.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I (unfortunately) have to drive 1/2 mile of gravel road to get to our house and dust is one of my arch enemies. I usually blast as much dust off as possible with an air compressor. It gets the majority of the dust off without the abrasive action of wiping. However eventually a good cleaning is still required every now and then...

·
Charter Member
1,031 Posts
I asked a professional detailer the same question. He has customers with the same issues. It's putting the car cover on and removing it that causes the static. Also the covers can cause scratches if there is dust on the car. After trying a few things what works best is to place styrofoam noodles over the car to keep the cover off the body. Dust issues are greatly reduced.
Also, never wipe down your car with a dry towel or brush. Always use a good clean microfiber cloth with water, or detail spray. This comes from a guy that wears an LED headlight band to find and remove all the swirls and micro-scratches left in the paint by others before he is done with his work.

·
1st RFM/FFR Legacy Winner
23,317 Posts
I found that 3M Perfecf-It 3000 Ultrafina is an ultra-fine final stage paint polish that has two good characteristics: It completely eliminates those very fine dist scratches and it somehow greatly reduces the static charge and thus dust attraction. It's made for machine polishing but I apply it by hand with a microfiber towel and a spritz of water (it's thick) every couple of months. Just work it in until it mostly disappears. it does not haze up like a wax. Then go over the car again with a dry mf towel and it looks awesome. It is not as slick feeling as wax when it's on. I have never washed either of these car in up to 13 years and 26K miles.

·
Not a waxer
11,917 Posts
No way around it; they are dust magnets.... especially when you put them in the garage and forget about them for 6-8 months like I do!

When mine gets like this I hose it off but otherwise a 3 minute wipedown with a California duster works great.

Jeff

·
Registered
21 Posts
Lay a tow chain over the rear axle (if axle is painted its not as effective) and let the ends of the chain rest on the floor.
I have no idea if that'll work for a fiberglass body car, but it helps a lot on steel body car/truck.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I tend to drive my car every week or sometimes I might go two weeks. I do get a bit of dust. Most of the time, I just use the California duster. I also keep a good wax on the car. I find that a good wax keeps the dust down also.

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
Duster, Leaf Blower & Mcguire's ultimate exterior detailer.

·
FFCobra Craftsman
23,617 Posts
Lastweek I bought a new Cal duster to use on the interiors of our other cars. One has a large empty piece of black dash panel on the passenger side. I sure noticed the oily film after using the new duster on that car. Grabbed a slightly damp towel to wipe the streaks off.

Reactions: hefbadr

·
Snake Farmer
10,321 Posts
I like the Swifter duster, because you can change them out frequently, very cheaply. Less chance of dragging any abrasives they may have picked up over time, from causing new scratches.
I use NuFinish sealer/polish, which is excellent at preventing the dust from clinging. I probably could just blow the dust off, but I don't have any filters on my small compressor,(mainly used for filling tires), so worry I may blow contaminants on to the paint.

Reactions: hefbadr

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for all the suggestions. I have a California duster that I use on my Tbird and it works well but not on the coupe.
I'm going to try the grounding and I'm going to take the cover to the laundromat and toss in the big dryer and see if I can remove some of the dust. I'm also going to look into the Swiffer duster.

Thanks

·
Registered
500 Posts
I live in west Texas and the dust here can be a real pain. I use a soft cover after I detail to keep it clean. I had a Modesta ceramic coating applied to help protect the paint from swirls from the dust and bug guts/bird poop. It also seems to cut down on how quickly dust gathers after a detail as well, and it looks great on top of the stellar job Jeff Miller did with the wet sanding and polish. I use Shine Supply detailer and clean micro fiber cloths for when things build up.

·
Type 65 Coupe
906 Posts
I use the no-rinse wash in a spray bottle (in the first link, below.) Spray on and wipe off with microfiber cloths. Then I spray on and wipe off the bead maker (second link, below.) Takes about 20 minutes total. The bead maker makes the surface slick and makes using the no-rinse spray more effective. The company has other chemicals and many different microfiber cloths for other car care uses.

Attachments

·
6,312 Posts
This is one of those one size does NOT fit all situations. You have to consider where you live and the type of dust you are exposed to. Some of it can be viscious and can scratch the heck out of your paint if you're not careful. My garage is clean and tight so my dust accumulation is modest. I do not cover indoors, ever. I have had good success with a California Car Duster and a follow up if needed with Duragloss 921 for hose pesky bee poop spots. The main thing is to be sure to lubricate the surface with something before any serious wiping starts.
Frankhttps://hosting.photobucket.com/alb...jpg?width=450&height=278&fit=bounds&crop=fill

1 - 20 of 21 Posts