Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Charter Member
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have NAPA, O'Reillys, Autozone, Advance Auto parts close-by. Can I get the 85 Mustang,5-speed,steel gear distributor at any of these places or is it a Ford dealer only part?
How can you check to see if they are working? I have one but thought about using it as a core since I am not sure how good it is. Thanks guys.

·
Part Time FFR Builder
109 Posts
I don't know if one out of a 89 stang will work but if it will I have one you can have.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
I got mine from NAPA. I think you want the one for an 85 mustang. It came with the steel gear.

jack

·
1,056 Posts
I have a brand new one that has never been installed. Changed my mind and going EFI. Send me a PM if interested.

·
5,559 Posts
the big problem with getting a rebuilt is that you can't be sure it is a steel gear even if listed for the '85. I bought a rebuilt from a local Carquest auto, and it was the one that was supposed to be for the '85 with roller cam, but the gear I had appeared to be cast, when I filed it, and showed sand cast pattern on top, so I ordered a replacement steel gear from Ford, and changed it just to be sure. Of course the gear cost way more than the rebuilt distributor!

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
2thdoc, I got the distributor and Duraspark box from Autozone.com. It looked good and works well. Don't forget the ballast resistor for the coil. My first Duraspark box lasted 30min. See my sight for pics.
Michael S

·
Charter Member
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I checked online and found that Autozone and O'reillys had the same part number. Does 30-2831
sound right? $50 plus $30 core.

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
2thdoc, Yes I checked my paperwork 30-2831 $49.99:
F102 controll mudule $24.99 : F2103 Gold cap & rotor $21.99. There is 1 more piece required that I can't find the receipt for it's the cap to distributor adapter ring.
Good luck
Michael S.

·
Senior Charter Member
1,665 Posts
The steel gear is critical with a roller shaft and I have heard that they are often wrong even when they are labeled as steel. See B+L's post. It is easy to check the material type on a bench grinder. Touch a non critical surface to the wheel and you should see bright (yellow) sparks. If you get a few dull red sparks, you have a cast gear. It's worth the 2 minutes to check.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts