Factory Five Racing Forum banner

101 - 109 of 109 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #101
Second phase back from powder coaters. My wife might be reading so I'm not gonna discuss the price this time. That was a lot of very small pieces, I don't blame them for that price this time.

Removable center console and pedestal to house some things:

The blank area on the top of the control panel will house the controller for the bluetooth radio. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00UTXQL74/?coliid=I1JTDHP17LGEAB&colid=2VE8QPNK7AALT&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Work trip to Vegas. Had to stop at the mecca. Was surprised to see a bunch of the legacy cars with for sale signs on them. No prices listed though:

Next problem. I had the windshield frame powdercoated. It came off easy enough. Now It is beyond my comfort limit for squeezing it back together. I think the powder built up the interior channel just a bit. I have visions of the window cracking just shoving on it. I think I'll be taking it to a local glass company to have them re-assemble it. I've considered just swapping it to lexan but pretty sure that won't pass initial California inspection. Soaking it in wd40 didn't help either.

Moving forward. Duncan

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #102
turkey pan and first start

I'll isolate it to scoop air once the hood is fitted. Here's my take on the turkey pan. Couldn't stomach that conical filter.

Can't really call it a first start. The first attempt sprayed fuel all over the place as I had the wrong size clamp prior to the surge fitting. Here it is in all it's glory. That is about the sweetest sound I've ever heard.

Duncan

·
Registered
70 Posts
I never get tired of that video, Duncan - congrats, man!

- m

·
Registered
126 Posts
I was standing in my garage when I clicked on your video. I hadn't realised that I had left my stereo system on and I was connected via Bluetooth. I got a real surprise when you started your engine. It was like it was in my garage. I nearly jumped out of my skin! Great sound, you must be totally stoked.

Cheers Nigel in South Oz

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #105
I was standing in my garage when I clicked on your video. I hadn't realised that I had left my stereo system on and I was connected via Bluetooth. I got a real surprise when you started your engine. It was like it was in my garage. I nearly jumped out of my skin! Great sound, you must be totally stoked.

Cheers Nigel in South Oz
Ha, that's awesome. thanks!

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #106
Huge to do list getting smaller:

Wired in a tach signal generator, nice little spot to tuck it:

Couple go cart rides around to heat cycle the engine. Now I've driven in many chases with this little engine in a crown vic. Holy hell It has snort with all that weight loss.

Re-torqued all the manifolds and plugs. Changed the oil. Swapped out the temp sender.

I must preface this picture with I'm no purist. This car is coming together far from most I see at cars and coffee. I thought I'd try my hand at a stencil and did this:

I'll see how it looks once the body is on then decide if it's staying. Easy to fix if I end up not liking it.

"Killmat" in all the places that feel like an oil can.

Then carpeted the interior;

Though it's tedious and noxious the carpeting kit was very accurate!

Bedliner from harbor freight and paint brushes. Only needed one gallon. Went quadruple thick on the strike areas above and around the wheels.

Moving forward.

Duncan

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #107
Fiberglassed in brackets to hold the side vents. Dual lock velcro in between the brackets feels very solid:

Found a problem in powdercoating everything. The window wouldn't fit back in there. Found a local glass company that's also in to hot rods. He floated the window in there with several types and layers of silicone.

Got the body on. He's gonna stay in rough body for a while as I save for paint and learn to drive it.

Windshield fitted, admittedly that is the most nervous I've been building this thing. Roll bars fitted. I went dual bars as I'm worried about getting rear ended in this thing. A truck will go right over the top of this thing. Here's hoping these provide a little more protection. Also, fitted a watson street works led 3rd brake light as there is nothing traditional about my build. Went Nitto 555g2's after doing some reading. Worked a couple companies against each other on black friday. 315's out back are nice and fat!

Doors and trunk lid fitted, well kinda fitted. I am not a body guy by any stretch of the imagination.

Saving for the tax man now.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Looking killer - great work. How far are you from registration?

101 - 109 of 109 Posts