Factory Five Racing Forum banner

81 - 100 of 109 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #81 (Edited)
Duncan-

I like how things are shaping up, and it looks like the pace of the build has been picking up as well! It's looking great.

I was curious whose dimple dies you ended up buying. I am planning on some dimples as well, and have been kicking around whose to buy, so I thought I would ask about your experience. Are you happy with how they performed, and how easy they were to work with? They certainly look good! Did you end up buying a set, or just the couple sizes you used?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Regards,

Steve

thanks Steve. Eastwood has a good set that i've been using. Now I will preface this with this is all new territory to me, but the set has been great so far. I went complete set to open up more options. I think I hit a sale as it wasn't this expensive. They make quality products. You can use a press, however the smaller sizes I used a vice just fine. A home depot metal cutting hole saw kit has all the sizes needed.
https://www.eastwood.com/eastwood-dimple-die-hole-flares.html?SRCCODE=PLA00010&gclid=CjwKCAiAqaTjBRAdEiwAOdx9xmNXIvXJ1CI137sU1el6N0VdzLNTLyd_sItO4f-mqNidouQ-q5FCLxoCvRYQAvD_BwE

That's aviation style dimples, here's the old school hot rod dimple bead, bonus with these as they cut and dimple in one motion. https://www.eastwood.com/eastwood-punch-and-bead-dies.html

I bought their bead roller also, next up is a english wheel i think because that 1/4" aluminum on the trans cover really didn't like the dimples, needed a little pre stretch. It warped just a little bit. I have other than Cobra fabrication ideas in store so I'm going in deep on these tools. If you just need a couple dimples it might be easier to take a 6 pack to the local fab guy. I am enjoying the learning process involved in it though for sure!

·
Registered
520 Posts
Duncan-

Thanks for the detailed response! I have had my eye on those dies from Eastwood. I appreciate the feedback on them, as I had no idea how they actually performed.

I will keep an eye out for one of their sales, and maybe pick up a set then. Thanks again for the response, as well as the specifics on your experience!

Your car looks great, and I look forward to more updates. Thanks again!

Regards,

Steve

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #83
Started out looking for a bracket for the radiator hose. Ended up going off the deep end and made a truss for that burp tank shelf.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Duncan-

I like the heck out of that bracket! Nicely done. You are making good use of those dies...

You know what they say, when you have a good tool, use it. ;-o)

Regards,

Steve

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #85
Saw a post, can't remember who's idea it was but made this modification.

Those low back seats worry me a little more than I thought now that iv'e sat in them and pretended to drive in my garage (making engine noise of course).

Went to the pick and pull and found an upper end beamer that had matching leather headrests. Cut into the seats and got the supporting hardware also. 11 bucks per headrest.

Sorry the pic is on it's side. Here's the hardware. I made a sheet of aluminum on the forward edge to blend out the pipes protruding slightly.

Finding ways to entertain myself until my wire harness gets back.

Heatshields for footboxes:

Pulled the thompson gas pedal and made a forward travel stop. Realized on my fake test drive that the pedal swung forward significantly .

·
Registered
70 Posts
Great job on the headrest mod, man! Did you put the seat heaters in there while you were at it? How difficult is it to remove/reinstall the upholstery?

- m

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #87
Thanks Mark. Just got the heaters in the mail. I left the seat open until i install those. The seats are fairly modular and well thought out, 10 minutes to deconstruct, prob the same to button back up. Only about 4 hog rings and some spray glue. I did leave one seat whole until the other is buttoned up just for a blueprint though :grin2:

·
Not a waxer
11,555 Posts
Good find on the headrests!

Pulled the thompson gas pedal and made a forward travel stop. Realized on my fake test drive that the pedal swung forward significantly .
If you haven't already done so make a WOT stop also. If the pedal can travel farther than your throttle body you'll pop the cable through the retainer and have to limp home at an idle (sounds like the voice of experience talking doesn't it :wink2:)

Jeff

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #90
here's where i saw that headrest mod:

https://www.ffcars.com/forums/17-factory-five-roadsters/413801-another-seat-thread.html

I actually have the TMI mustangs headrests sitting in my living room patiently waiting. My bracket from TMI looks different that the one John4337 got with his. Should weld in easy enough (work at a facility with code certified welders so that part is easy! )

Greg

That was it! amazing crowd of people here. Thanks to John4337. Thank you sir.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #91
Made a throttle stop, Thanks Kleiner!

My wirediet came back. Sorry for the pun but the thing is a work of art.

Almost looks idiot proof. I'll be the test of that.

Located the fuse block above the clutch pedal looking down. That made a huge pile of harness that was on top of the steering shaft. I boxed in the steering shaft making a bridge for the pile to sit on.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Looks great, Duncan! Glad you can move forward with the wiring. Your first start is around the corner.

·
FFCobra Craftsman
22,136 Posts
Yep, no matter what harness, there is a lot going on right there. As you start working out where what goes, I always recommend spending time w/ every leg of the harness. Lay it out on top of everything else and be sure you know what each plug connects to and where that component is. Sometimes a harness routing will work great til you get to the last plug on that branch and then it won't reach. But, if you had routed it differently 3 or 4 steps back, they will all reach.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #94
Wiring continues, Using the only tool I remember my Grandfather handing me. I remember him saying Fluke made great tools. It's lasted quite a while so I'll agree!

Dash hole was too big for the speedo and tach. Found a company that makes a bezel. Made some lower dash supports:

The "needing powder coating pile" is getting bigger. Made a panel to hide some of the controllers and relays behind.

Tack welded the Breeze roll bars. Will have a pro finish them. Only set one towel on fire in the process. To my defense it was soaked in water first. The "anti spatter" spray worked well in the welding area. Harbor freight flux core wire feed and a couple hours of youtube/welding practice and I think I have some other projects around the house that just came an option.

My son wandered out when i was practicing welding, showed him how and he did better than me in very short order.

No huge gains but great progress for me!

·
Registered
520 Posts

My son wandered out when i was practicing welding, showed him how and he did better than me in very short order.
Don't you hate when that happens? Happens to me all the time, and I think my boys get a kick out of showing me up! Bastages!!

Keep up the good work.

Regards,

Steve

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #96
As expected, the welding on the roll bar brought the uprights in slightly. Thankfully there's brilliant people on here. Carlwms for the win on this trick:

New Mcleod clutch on the balanced flywheel:

Then dropped in the engine/trans. Had to yank the steering shaft out to get it to clear the exhaust manifolds on the way in. Here's to hoping that thing stays in there now.

Man there's not a lot of room to spare with these modular engines.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #97
Some updates.
The donor hydro hoses are form fitted for a mustang, I couldn't find a clean place to stuff all the excess. I found a hydraulic shop that salvaged the ends for me and spliced in hoses.

Breeze cubby is nice. Used no back carpet to clean up that area and set the speakers.

The provided driveline was too long. One call to factory five and they made me a shorter one for no charge. I have never had such great service as this company! You can see it was in contact with the tail bushing.

Phase 2 of powder coating out getting worked on. That stalled my engine compartment as some of it routes hoses/wires. Mocked up a modified turkey pan so i can get away from that conical filter and use the hood scoop. Good lord they weren't joking when they said these engines have some wires/hoses.

Seats and belts in. Starting to feel like a car.

I've been plagued by a leak from my rebuilt rear end. I finally tracked it down to a pinhole in a weld where they shortened the tubes. Little JB and some paint and she's good.

Duncan

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #99
Those seats look nice! What/where did you get them?

Thanks Barry: Take a look at post 85 on this thread. The seats are leather factory five. I gutted a couple bmw seats at a junkyard and added those headrests. I was worried about getting rear ended with low backs after I had already committed to those seats. They feel great and it was a cheap upgrade. Just a little un-nerving punching into the leather.

81 - 100 of 109 Posts