Factory Five Racing Forum banner

61 - 80 of 109 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
spot check me please: Making an ABS pump bracket. Mounting it next to Breeze forward battery box. 4.6l with hydro boost. Donor radiator and metal corrugated hoses. Wire harness has enough slack to reach. It's 4 channel so I need to buy different brake lines anyways. I don't see any obvious conflicts. How about you?
That's the approximate position I put my ABS unit.
As for the rear tires with the stock 04 rear end (had a 2004 GT donor) which is the widest, I put 315's by having teamIII make me up some rims with the stock front offset and they fit perfectly. Mine is a mark 3.1 so don't know if a mark IV will still fit. You don't get the deep dish look but get the wide tire inside the fenders.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
Mccathcart: thanks. 2002 donor. 400 miles on an engine is perfect. The wiring is what worries me the most on this thing. Think I'm gonna send it to wire diet instead.

Phileas: hose comes out right above the oil filter. After seeing your pic i crammed the hose through to make sure it fit. Thank you.

Timbmn12 has me thinking now, will mock those up tomorrow.

GreatWhite: Great idea on the rims. I am getting the rear end trimmed down to fit the 315's.

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Hi, Duncan. Just came across this thread with great interest, as I'm starting a similar build. '04 wrecked Mach 1 arrived yesterday (59K miles), and base kit arrives tomorrow or early next week. Would love to compare notes. I just sent a PM.

Thanks,
- m

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
Hi, Duncan. Just came across this thread with great interest, as I'm starting a similar build. '04 wrecked Mach 1 arrived yesterday (59K miles), and base kit arrives tomorrow or early next week. Would love to compare notes. I just sent a PM.

Thanks,
- m
Replied. Be talking to you!

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
slow and steady

Dropped just a corner of the trunk. Will drop the upper area as well after rear end is in to see how deep I can make it.

Evap can bracket mounted:

And Breeze battery forward box installed along with the abs pump and bracket. Camera angle doesn't show it but there's a channel for the battery tie down rod:

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
Slow progress is better than none

Took a while off to tackle some house projects. Also, my fifteen year old son and I removed his truck engine for rebuild. He's paying for it and doing the work. Was a great time so far and he will certainly appreciate the truck more than a family hand me down.

Most of the brake lines in place. Had to have one specialty line made as it had different sized ends.

The Laser cut tab for the front line hard to flexible felt flimsy to me. Made a different mount for that. Also, shrink wrapped anywhere lines would touch within the brackets.

And now that I look at that picture I think I will do some standard rivets on the bracket. The ugly side of the rivet is showing in the bay.

Duncan

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
Growing up I bonded strongly with my paternal grandfather, Clyde. He was a brilliant and quirky man. Brilliant as he was a chemist among other things. He helped design the atomic bomb. Quirky in retrospect due to his poorly controlled diabetes. He never raised his voice to me but holy crap he would verbally cut a stanger to shreds in the radio shack for cutting in line. My parents always warned me "if his driving scares you ask him to slow down". Ha. What 11 year old doesn't enjoy a violent 7000rpm neutral drop in a Ford LTD? I remember the rubber cloud overtaking us before he got traction. The sports car he tried to race wasn't even in sight by the time we were moving.

Here I've been building an AC cobra replica which some describe as an angry machine and wondering what his/her name will be. All good cars need a name.

Digging through some papers it smacked me in the face. I found a 1946 federal job application nicely typed. At the bottom in ink, by his hand signed Clyde ***.

I found a hobbyist machinist that traced his signature exactly and carved it from aluminum.

The car,. Or I guess I should start referring to him properly, Clyde, will be completely blacked out. I'm not a fan of muscle car chrome. The only externally visible piece of shiny metal will be this tribute smack in the middle of the dashboard.

I remember 2 sayings and hear them in his voice still;. Family is the most important thing, and. Never stop learning.

I still need to polish it but couldn't resist the share.

PM me if you want the machinist's info.

·
Premium Member
1,112 Posts
Very cool.

John

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
Haven't updated in a while. Been busy with life. Harness is out with Art, he really is a pleasure to deal with. Engine is back from rebuild, had them balance it too. Went with the Thompson turn signal (decided that when talking to Art) and popped on the upgraded door hinges. Fire suppression system is plumbed (will grommet the pass throughs). Got a bulk of panels back from powdercoating. It's a flat black until the sun hits it and a little bronze pops out (that color will make sense much later)

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
When I see quality items like the billet door hinges and fire suppression system, a civil servants budget must not be too bad. Looks great keep up the good work.

FWIW, as I recall my dropped floor trunk box was about 5 1/4" deep. I have seen many variations on similar solutions form others. Like you, I kept the FF frame structure, I installed my trunk box from underneath before the tank went in. That way I made use of the entire space above the tank with only the diagonal cross brace getting int the way a bit.

Keep the progress going.

Alan

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
When I see quality items like the billet door hinges and fire suppression system, a civil servants budget must not be too bad. Looks great keep up the good work.

FWIW, as I recall my dropped floor trunk box was about 5 1/4" deep. I have seen many variations on similar solutions form others. Like you, I kept the FF frame structure, I installed my trunk box from underneath before the tank went in. That way I made use of the entire space above the tank with only the diagonal cross brace getting int the way a bit.

Keep the progress going.

Alan
Hahaha, no doubt on the salary thing. Certainly making the build take longer as I keep finding great items to buy! I'm not sold on my trunk box version 1.0. I like your idea.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
For anybody building with the 4.6 2v engine. Do not get the Moroso 20546 oil pan. Factory five tech told me that one would work.

I asked on a facebook page and the consensus is the Champ CP4654 instead along with pickup and dip stick.

Test fitting the engine in there answered many fitment questions i had brewing. Almost feels like a car now too.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #74
Got the Champ pan in as well as pickup instead of that Moroso one. Waiting on a trans rebuild and the return of the wiring from art. Ever so slowly coming together. Using a digital guard dawg for start button. I wanted a subtle nod to aviation in the interior so i worked the center console a bit and worked in some dimples. The trans cover is now removable and the start button will be right ahead of the shifter.

I wasn't happy with all the adapters on the brake lines so I remade all the lines in nicopp. Deleted the prop valve while I was at it. Mark K loaned me the master cool flaring tool. So far not one leak using that thing, highly recommend that tool! Thanks Mark!

·
Junior Charter Member
1,382 Posts
Duncan, with the approach you are taking I cannot classify your build as a Budget Build. I used a Mustang 4.6 SOHC as well and did not rebuild the engine (it had 50 k miles on it) and I put in a used TR3650 transmission from a 2004 Mustang GT (about 60k miles and no rebuild). I looked at the Digital Dawg start button and that was outside my budget LOL.

Keep up the good work.

Wade

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #76
Duncan, with the approach you are taking I cannot classify your build as a Budget Build. I used a Mustang 4.6 SOHC as well and did not rebuild the engine (it had 50 k miles on it) and I put in a used TR3650 transmission from a 2004 Mustang GT (about 60k miles and no rebuild). I looked at the Digital Dawg start button and that was outside my budget LOL.

Keep up the good work.

Wade

Hahaha no doubt, guess i need to change the title. I came upon a boondoggle of overtime this year and was able to step it up a bit. Of course that made it sit idle in the garage for the year. Had i known i'd get a mid build infusion of money i would have just gone Coyote. Damnit.

·
Junior Charter Member
1,382 Posts
Hahaha no doubt, guess i need to change the title. I came upon a boondoggle of overtime this year and was able to step it up a bit. Of course that made it sit idle in the garage for the year. Had i known i'd get a mid build infusion of money i would have just gone Coyote. Damnit.
That's great. Good for you.

Wade

·
Registered
70 Posts
Build is looking great, Duncan! Glad the flaring tool is working out - it makes brake and fuel lines *so* much easier.

Fire suppression system and billet hinges are off the hook!

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #79
Didn't like the look of the radiator overflow tank hanging out in space like it was. Made a plate for it. If you're using a donor along these lines, the throttle cable is too short to reach the engine. I wasn't sold on the one in the kit. A similar year crown victoria throttle cable was a great extended drop in.

Here's a pic from the side. It is sitting a tiny bit lower than how the manual showed it, however the height of the tank interfering with the hood has me a little worried. That's about an inch and a half above the 3/4 rail. Does that look too tall in this area?

Everson's shift boot showed up. Great stuff for the price!

·
Registered
520 Posts
... I wanted a subtle nod to aviation in the interior so i worked the center console a bit and worked in some dimples. The trans cover is now removable and the start button will be right ahead of the shifter...
Duncan-

I like how things are shaping up, and it looks like the pace of the build has been picking up as well! It's looking great.

I was curious whose dimple dies you ended up buying. I am planning on some dimples as well, and have been kicking around whose to buy, so I thought I would ask about your experience. Are you happy with how they performed, and how easy they were to work with? They certainly look good! Did you end up buying a set, or just the couple sizes you used?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Regards,

Steve

61 - 80 of 109 Posts