Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Big Kahuna
5,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The car I bought was converted to 134a on the AC. Do I have to have this evacuated? Or can I just release it? I am not really sure if there is even gas in it, but there is a 134a conversion sticker on the cowl.

I suspect FFR gives you a origin or manufacturer to get a title?

But what about emmisions? How do I handle that here in GA? I know they have started putting catalytic converters on motorcycles, but what about kit cars and such..

Thanks in advance!

And now back to degreasing the garage floor.....

·
Charter Member
7,902 Posts
To get rid of the refrigerant, I took my car to a place the does AC service, and they just sucked the stuff out of the system. Seems a bit better than just releasing it. Of course the car has to be running for this method to work!

·
section 8
5,136 Posts
there is very little ozone left have it removed .FFR will give you a certificate of origin. Hopefully some one in Ga. can help you further Bob

·
just another builder
8,238 Posts
hey neighbor...I'm just north of you...off hamilton mill and 124...my build is somewhere between a roller and a go cart...you have a couple registration options.

[ August 18, 2007, 01:57 PM: Message edited by: quicksand ]

·
Premium Member
18,134 Posts
1. the whole point of the new 134a is that it doesn't harm the environment. According to it's material safety data sheet, it's ozone damage potential is 0. Just vent it to air.

2. With any kit you recieve a Manufacturers Statement of Origin. It looks kinda like a title. When you're ready to register the car, you'll use the MSO to apply for a title. Every state is a little differant in regards to specific procedures and emissions requirements.

3. With emissions in mind, find out exactly what is required in your state. Up until this year, in Colorado the emissions were based on the year the engine represents. So if you used donor EFI, you had to meet emissions of that year - air pump, cats, etc. If you used a carb and distributer, you could get '65 emissions requirements. Check carefully with your state before building your engine.

·
Gelcoat Driving Maniac!
4,373 Posts
boB, if it was converted to 134a, wouldn't venting it possibly release the previous contents that were probably just sealed over with one of those do it yourself kits? Am I misthinking that?

Snakeman, that's not really the point. I'm certainly no tree hugger, but the same argument could be made for dumping used motor oil down the drain. Just cause you didn't get caught doesn't mean you should have done it.

·
Big Kahuna
5,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Originally posted by BigRedRPB:
wouldn't venting it possibly release the previous contents that were probably just sealed over with one of those do it yourself kits?
I have done some research, and it seems that what has been done is the freon(previous contents) was evacuated, and the 134a was put in, which is safe for the atmosphere.

I am no tree hugger either, but I do want to do the right thing.

Integrity: Doing the right thing when nobody is looking....

·
Gelcoat Driving Maniac!
4,373 Posts
b,

I applaud you for taking the time to check. As someone who sunburns while getting the mail
, I'm all for not killing the atmosphere anymore than is necessary (like when running a 550HP engine :D ).

·
Big Kahuna
5,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Originally posted by BigRedRPB:
As someone who sunburns while getting the mail
Kevin,

You burn getting the mail, yet you live in the land of the Flying Cow? Did they ever finish So. Blvd after starting it 25 years ago? I heard no....

Thanks for the help.

·
Gelcoat Driving Maniac!
4,373 Posts
LOL, every road in Palm Beach County is perpetually under construction. They have finally finished Southern's bridges over Military, Haverhill, and Jog, but it is taking them forever to finish the one over 441. Not to mention that it is also taking forever to finish the stretch between the Turnpike and 441. I take that road every day to get home from work and it's has yet to be pleasant.

Gotta love this place!

·
Big Kahuna
5,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sorry to hear that. StepDad farmed Flying cow, and I spent quite a bit of time out there. All of Wellington was farm land out to Flying Cow, and on to 20 Mile. There was a place on So. that we would stop and get a Fanta Orange and a bag of peanuts. Also there was a bunch of Guava trees across the canal at RP Blvd. goig to Flying Cow. Homemade Guava jelly, the only thing better is a sweetly tuned Cobra!

Let us know when you get her, and for goodness sake, get you a website to posts your journey.

·
"The" FFR Master
3,172 Posts
Hey where in Lawrencville are you bstuke??? Any pics of the donor??? Any left over Mustang interior parts that you might be willing to part with??? I always need stuff for my daily driver.

·
Big Kahuna
5,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Originally posted by Joe Camire:
Hey where in Lawrencville are you bstuke???
Hey Joe, I'm Bob. I am at Old Peachtree and Dean. weblink is in my signature.

Not much in the way of interior. It was completely stripped, including front seatbelts. There are door panels but thay have speaker holes cut in them. PO told me it was nasty, and stripped out the carpet and seats, and was going to attempt to make it a drag racer at some point. I PM'd you my wireless number.

I planned on having Lance pick it up when I was done.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts