Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
2,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I'm getting my T5 ready to install and am installing the new bellhousing and clutch fork. In the channel around the throwout bearing where the clutch fork retaining spring rides there is a lump. How is that lump to be oriented in relation to the other parts? My thought was that it should go into the clutch fork closer to the fork pivot, I don't know for sure.

TIA

Chris.

·
section 8
5,136 Posts
Chris I'm at a loss on this one all I can remember is the 2 flat sides are where the spring clip on the fork go . If you had A pic it mught jog my brain.

·
2,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bob,

Sorry, don't have a pic. The TO bearing has two flat sides, but, it's sort of a fat tear drop shape. The old one looked like it had been riding with one of the spring clips just to one side of the TO bearing. My thought is that one might rotate the TO bearing so that the point is just between the spring clip and the pivot, perhaps that would keep the TO bearing from rotating out of the clutch fork? Anybody that can elaborate?

Chris.

·
Junior Charter Member
1,300 Posts
Chris. All that "bump" does is stop the bearing from spinning on the transmission frt bearing retainer.I would think the bump would point towards the long side of the fork(towards where the cable attaches).And if you where looking at the fork perctly straight in frt of you, the "bump" would be positioned at 8:00. The bearing in this pic does not have the bump, but it would be point towards you.

·
2,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Baron,

Thanks, man. As usual, you're a font of knowledge, I'll be buying you a beer one of these days. I couldn't figure what else the bump could be for. I'll position it in a way that makes sense, and move on to the next thing that doesn't make any sense.

This coming week, my drive train goes in, just have to install the clutch and PPlate and I'm ready. Another milestone, I think.

How goes your paint? I'm watching your progress with interest.

Chris.

·
Junior Charter Member
1,300 Posts
Glad to be able to help. I'm sure you would have figured it once you tried to install it. Pretty much can only go in one way.
Taking the car to the body shop this coming Friday.Just spent the last three days finishing inside the trunk lid(7 hours for something nobody see's),rolled the fender flairs( another mod I highly reccomend) and fabbed the mounts for my front FFR air dam. Once it goes to the shop, we'll bake it in their oven( open up any air pockets,etc), and give it a couple coats of Featherfill. Then I'll block it out a couple more times, and it should be good to go. Going with BRG(Jag color),no stripes. I'll post pictures I take while at the body shop.
Keep up the good work with yours. It's looking good. The first start is exciting! You'll be there soon.
Baron

·
2,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just love BRG! My dad had a piece of crap mid- seventies MG-B that was that color (not metallic). He always claimed that car caused his heart attack. For sure it had electrics that were a challenge. They don't call Lucas the prince of darkness for nothing!

Very, very pretty color, I was thinking of that color with antique white (or cream) colored stripes for my car, but still un-decided.

·
Junior Charter Member
1,300 Posts
No stripes. Non-metallic. I have seven samples of BRG sprayed out on 8x10 sheets. All British Racing Green,and all different! For me ,it has been the hardest part of the build ( choosing the color). And every time I see a new graduate or newly painted Cobra here, I second guess my self.
On my coffee table I have a book( Automobile Quarterly, 1967,Vol VI,number 1) that my father subscribed too. In it is a comparison test between two of the Worlds Fastest Production cars(18 years apart). In 1949 it was the Jaguar XK-120 and in 1967, the 427 Cobra. The test was out at Bridgehampton,LI,NY. 0-60 in 3.8 sec/top speed 156.6 mph. The Cobra they tested was BRG, and for the last 39 years, I have never forgot that image. At sixteen I fell in love with that Cobra , and now I will finally have it. Not a real one , but one that is certainly real enough for me.

·
2,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It will be better than the real thing. Plus, added bonus, you'll be able to drive it without worrying about everbody who walks by. Works for me. I always did want a driver, not a trailer queeen.

Chris.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts