Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
near graduate!
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok.. soooo.. I'm fully painted and about ready to go get registered and I'm finally mounting the hood for the first time. The problem is that I've never actually seen one on the roadster close.

So, the hood is mounted and as I close it, it looks like this.. with the top of hood resting on body outside of it's groove.

And then all I have to do is push down on the bottom of the hood and the hinges compress completely and the hood fits nicely into place..

But this doesn't seem right does it? Do I just have the hood mounted too high and that's why it won't seat properly on the initial closing?

Help?

·
Premium Member
18,585 Posts

·
near graduate!
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
mk III with mk III hood. not modified and the dampers are mounted just like the pics in the instructions and everything is mounted in factory predrilled holes.

but it's wrong.. right?

·
Junior Charter Member
1,300 Posts
Maybe remove the hood pistons and see how it closes without them. Then I would loosen the lower part of the hinge(the piece that bolts to the chassis) and try tipping the rear of it down more(I'd do this with the hood closed). Another thing to do since you are all painted is too put a piece of masking tape on the leading edge of the nose and hood so you won't hurt the paint if you get it to close. Good luck.
Baron

·
Premium Member
18,585 Posts

·
near graduate!
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the help!

I had mounted the hinges on top of the frame mounting plates which was the first mistake, so I mounted them underneath and that got me MUCH closer.. Then I was able to get it to seat properly by lowering and tipping the mounting plates.. and yup, a couple bushings were too tight as well.

It's still crooked, but way closer.

·
Premium Member
1,198 Posts
I just installed mine. Get all your horizontal adjustments where you want, close the hood and get the vertical where you want it. Get under the car and tighten the chassis to hinge bolts from underneath. Have fun :D :D , but it's really the only way. I spent the better part of a day trying other ways, then 15 minutes under, and it's done. I replaced the cap screws for the chassis mount with hex bolts. It made tightening much easier.

Double check your assembly. The hood should close very smoothly (and completely) when you lower it from the rear edge.

c

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.