Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
1,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My neighbor's kids stay up till all hours of the night playing music, smoking pot, drinking, shooting off fireworks, smoking cigarettes, littering in my yard and the surrounding area all within 50 feet of my front door. This has been going on for some time (even school nights). I have told them I don't care what they do unless it affects me. My wife who just got out of the hospital was up and I finally snapped at 3 am and called the police. Right when the officer pulled up they ran and hid all there pot and beer. The officer then came over to my house so the kids know who called the cops. He said he could tell they were high but couldn't really do anything because he didnt find any pot or alcohol. This morning I go outside and hear one of the kids yell F%#* You! He then proceded to cuss me out and bragged that the cops weren't able to bust him and that he had beaten the rap. His mother came out and he still was cussing up a storm. He thinks I'm out to get him when all I want to do is sleep. The parents have no control over these kids. They claim they have no idea they smoke pot or do all this stuff at night. Other neighbors have called the police in the past and I think they think it has always been me. I am afraid of what these kids may be capable of. What do you guys think?

Andy

·
Junior Charter Member
1,314 Posts
I'm hot under the collar just reading this!

...you dont want to know what my response would be!

·
FFCobra Captain
11,688 Posts
Do you have a video camera? Next time use that to help the cops see the action they've been taking.

Also, do whatever you need to do to protect your family.

Call Child Protection Services, or whatever they call it up there. Maybe those kids need to be removed from their home, since it seems like they may have unfit parents, and be placed in a setting where they can get the help they need before they get completely out of control and do something that will really hurt someone. I wonder if a visit from that agency would wake up the parents into getting control of their kids. Probably won't help, just thinking out loud.

·
Registered
984 Posts
It is your civic duty to report idiot teenagers to the authorities. Unfortunately, it sometimes comes at a cost.

You can probably expect some vandalism to your house or cars if you are not vigilent. Now that they think that you have started a fight with them, they will do what they can to "get you back". The only way to win is to beat them to the punch. Call the cops regularly. I mean every single day. Twice a day if that's what it takes. Eventually the cops will get the message and remove the little $hit$. Also, I think that calling CPS is a great idea. I'd stay on them too, but not daily.

Best of luck!

:D

Clutch

·
Registered
9,941 Posts
Video.....Cobra 'tune-up' up at 5:30 am.....Fire hose if that doesn't work. :D
Get with your neighbour's too. A show of solidarity never hurts, and five people calling the cops is better than one.

I just went through this last weekend. House 2 doors down (end of the cul-de-sac), 'Rents out of town, kids have party. 11:30 PM and 30 cars are clogging up the narrow street. Cursing, honking, people driving through my driveway to get around it. Most of them left before I got out there but I still had to chase a couple off with threats of calling the cops. After that I went and had it out with the kids. Unlike your example these little $#its at least put on an act of contrition.

·
Senior Charter Member
14,032 Posts
Call child protective services and video tape it. Better yet go to the police station and file a police report with the police. This way if there is retaliation you have given the police a avenue to go down. Sounds like the parents shouldn't be parents.

·
Super Moderator
29,362 Posts
I would have %^*&$% him up BIG TIME!!

·
2,203 Posts
Here's a thought, though it might be a bit of work...

In addition to all of the above work with your local police to form a neighborhood watch group. Invite all of your neighbors to the first meeting with the police, including the little $h!t's parents and make sure they know what you are doing. Also make sure they know that now the whole neighborhood will be watching and calling the cops at the slightest hint of trouble. Then as a group keep the pressure on. You may see the activity die down quickly.

·
597 Posts
One word, FERTILIZE.

I had this exact same problem a few years ago when I lived in a geat neighborhood in LA. Every single night I would be kept awake until 2 or 3 am by my neighbors kids on my lawn. The police would scare them off but they would be right back in about 30 seconds after the cruiser was gone. Eventually the police stopped coming.

I went out and bought the smelliest fertilizer I could find and topped it off with skunk oil I found at a camping store. I fertilized every day for a month. By the time 30 days was over, they had moved on to some other kid's neighbor's lawn, and my lawn looked great.

Keep your windows closed for a while and use your A/C (I hope you have A/C).

btw, I would also add a video surveillance camera now in case they decide to try and vandalize your property.

Good Luck,

Steve Borne

·
Premium Member
5,526 Posts
Originally posted by ChrisH:
Invite all of your neighbors to the first meeting with the police, including the little $h!t's parents and make sure they know what you are doing. Also make sure they know that now the whole neighborhood will be watching and calling the cops at the slightest hint of trouble. Then as a group keep the pressure on. You may see the activity die down quickly.
What a great idea
I would do this or Bob's idea

·
Charter Member
760 Posts
What a pain!

All good advice, above.

I would take every opportunity to pressure both the kids and parents. Do they rent or own?

I am not sure, but think in some circumstances you can sue your neighbor in small claims court for being a nuisance. Likely varies by state.

Here's a product from Nolo, I bet your local library has it on the shelf.
http://www.nolo.com/product.cfm/ObjectID/920EBFCB-3ECE-4CC9-A2ED7FCF1EE6E6B3/213/

Now, go give 'em HECK!

Jeff

·
FFCobra Master Craftsman
8,694 Posts
I know its tempting but chances are that if you do something (extreme) it will come back to haunt you. You have a job and a family. This kid has nothing but time on his hands.

In two years from now he'll either grow up and be OK - and apologize - or he'll be asking you if you want fries with your Big Mac.

Time heals all wounds and wounds all heels.

·
1,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks to all, good advice. Sometimes I think I live in the Twilight Zone! These kids father is a retired Navy officer. I find it so unlikely that he has absolutely no control over his kids. They have no respect for either of their parents. It's really sad. But of course now it is my problem also. I plan on getting neighbors together to start. I know some others have called the police before. If all fails I will also go to children services. That was another good idea.

·
Classic Format Fan
834 Posts
Hey AJ, I know that sucks to be in that situation. We have quite a p!$$!ng battle going on right now in our subdivision between a few neighbors. Are you in Columbus's jurisdiction or are you in one of the 'burbs? I have some friends on the CPD that might be of some help.

jj

1 - 17 of 17 Posts