Factory Five Racing Forum banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
11,828 Posts
If you plan to do any drag racing, even 1/8 mile, some places will require a proper jacket to pass tech. Consider this if buying a jacket specifically for your roadster.

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
If you plan to do any drag racing, even 1/8 mile, some places will require a proper jacket to pass tech. Consider this if buying a jacket specifically for your roadster.

Got mine from Summit racing. Usually wear a A2 over a hoodie but it works great as a cold weather jacket.

·
Registered
820 Posts
This morning it was 16 when I left to be in the Military Bowl pre-game parade. I layered with a fleece 1/2 zip, a lightweight down jacket from BJ’s, and a Lands End Squall jacket on top. I was very comfortable. Any more layers and I would not fit in my Kirkey seats.

·
Charter Member
1,775 Posts
I like a hooded Carhart jacket because it keeps the wind off the back of my neck. I have a coupe of fleece tubes that go around my neck. I tried long scarfs for years but the tube was much better.

I was on a construction job one winter and a pipefitter's wife was making the neck tube out different color material (cloth - fleece). I bought one for $5 and within a couple of days bought the second one. Slip over your head and fits snugly around your neck. Perfect for me because in my book anything under 50 degrees is freezing.

Dwight

·
Charter Member
1,775 Posts
Talking about the cold, I just checked the temperature outside and it's 19 degrees. That is very cold for North Alabama. I think I'll stay inside for a couple of hours before I go to my shop to work on my GT 40.

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
Love my lined leather bike jacket when it gets cold. If it is really cold (20 or below) this goes over a carrhart insulated coverall. My wife has a 12V fleece blanket/heater that plugs into the 12V power port. Heated seats help as well. A fur lined "mad bomber" hat might be a little over the top, but I have used one and they are great.

·
Registered
406 Posts
---Under 30 I add my full face helmet with the shield down. Yeah, you get some looks from other motorists :huh:

Jeff
When I bought my wife's MGB for her birthday (in mid January) it was 26 degrees when I drove it home. The car didnt' come with a top. I wore my motorcycle cold weather gear (full face helmet, balaclava, full leather jacket, motorcycle gauntlets) and felt fine. Lots of people staring lol. I had the heater on and it actually made a difference!

·
Charter Member
1,011 Posts
Fleece line jeans are a must have during cold weather driving up here in WI. But as soon as they start salting the roads the car goes into hiding for the winter.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I wear a motorcycle enduro jacket. It's fairly weatherproof when all zipped up, but the beauty is that it has zippers on the front for ventilation and the sleeves detach to make it a vest if things warm up.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I really admire all the posters who brave the cold temps. If it's under 50 degrees F, then it just stays in the garage. So as Phil Collins suggested, "No Jacket Required"!! BTW, it also stays in when temps are above 85 or so!!

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
I really admire all the posters who brave the cold temps. If it's under 50 degrees F, then it just stays in the garage. So as Phil Collins suggested, "No Jacket Required"!! BTW, it also stays in when temps are above 85 or so!!
Would really limit your driving time in the Carolinas.

·
Registered
7,547 Posts
So I guess you just like to set and look at it mostly, and don't care to drive.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Mostly a tongue in cheek response on my part, my dear rich grsc...and what the heck is "set"? You don't seem to have much appreciation for humor, nor do you really understand what people are trying to say. And your comments and vocabulary leave a lot to be desired. How can you say I don't care to drive? What do you know about me? Stop "guessing" and shooting from the hip. It's not a sign of intelligence. You might be very knowledgeable but your recent posts point in the opposite direction. No offense intended, but you rub me, and possibly others, the wrong way. Get it? So, to quote you in one of your recent posts :"WRONG".

·
Registered
175 Posts
Would really limit your driving time in the Carolinas.
Not really. We have plenty of really nice weather in the Carolinas. 10 months out of the year is not bad. Does not limit my driving at all. Some of "us" on this forum tend to be a little judgmental. Ease up and chill guys.

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Since I live in Raleigh & my COBRA is a daily driver with 15,000 miles on it under your 85*F tops that last day I could have driven the car in the past few days would have been, June 25th but prior to the 25th the next available date would be June 20th.

FWIW when I don't take the COBRA out one of my other two convertibles goes out with their roofs down unless its raining or snowing.

Not a case of bring judgmental just a case of knowing what the weather is here.:)

Reactions: hefbadr

·
Builder in training...
173 Posts
I bought a motorcycle style jacket from Pagnol, the M1A and some of their leather gloves. If I wear a smartwool base layer and a light fleece under the jacket my core stays warm. If it is less than 40 I wear a stocking cap to make sure my ears are covered. We did a 180 mile loop to Old Faithful end of September and it was 37 and cloudy and I was prety comfortable.

So, ya, leather and gloves that seal out wind.

PS. I don't look like this guy, but this is what I saw that prompted my purchase.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Thanks for bringing this thread back to life. After reading up,I went with the motorcycle Joe Rocket 92 leather jacket with the zip out liner. I find that the motorcycle jacket is easier to sit in the car with than my other leather jackets. Mainly the arms are bent and forward where street jackets are for your arms down.

Since the Cobra is the car that I put the most miles on each year, the liner is a must. I even wear the jacket in the heat. Mainly the keep the sun off of me. My lowest temp has been 28F and the highest 116F and I have been caught in the rain. I have loved every bit of owning and driving a Cobra. There is something special about being in the open that bonds you with the environment around you. Now I find that when we take the other AC and heated vehicles that driving is boring. And yes, I do have gloves and a hat also.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts