Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that I am driving year round and my current lambskin leather jacket needs to be replaced, I am in the market for a leather jacket. I have been looking at motorcycle style jackets with zip cuffs to keep out the cold air. Has anyone used a motorcycle jacket for long trips? Was it comfortable? I have worn hoodies, and sweaters, but they let in lots of wind. I have also tried my ski jacket, but just felt silly.

So, what jacket do you wear to drive a Cobra?

What jacket would you prefer to wear?

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Depends how cold & how fast I will be going. When not tee or sweat shirt weather I go to a A2 pilots jacket. The Navy G1 version has a fur collar that can be turned up.

Colder weather an insulated camo hunting jacket with an attached hood is as bulky as I want to go.

Gloves are RJS Racing Nomex driving gloves with a long cuff to slip over the jacket cuffs. Like the others am a left arm on the sill driver & need a wind proof jacket.

If my clothes are not warm enough the car stays in the garage. >:)

EDIT: Slipped my mind but I do have a Tonneau cover that works very well holding the heated air in the cockpit with the passenger side covered.

Reactions: Brastic

·
Registered
9,942 Posts

Reactions: jspa

·
Registered
494 Posts
I recently made a 150 mile trip with the temp in the lower 40s. Most of the time we were driving at 75mph. I wore a Carhart hooded jacket with a sweat shirt and long sleeve T-shirt underneath. I did not get cold under the jacket. The hood was nice as it kept the cold air off the back of my neck. The knit cuffs were pulled over the top of my gloves. I even had my left arm on top of the door part of the time. However, my left leg got cold from the air coming in between the door and body. D shaped weather stripping coming. Oh yeah the heated seats helped too! Cannot say enough about them.

·
Not a waxer
11,849 Posts
I've made a lot of early morning trips with temps in the 40s, 30s and 20s. Left shoulder is most vulnerable but from the chest down is never a problem.
---40s get a turtleneck with layer of thermal under a hooded sweatshirt with the hood pulled up to block the cold air blast that comes from behind and also a good pair of Thinsulate gloves.
---30s get the same with the addition of a Carhartt jacket.
---Under 30 I add my full face helmet with the shield down. Yeah, you get some looks from other motorists :huh:

Jeff

·
Registered
7,547 Posts
I recently made a 150 mile trip with the temp in the lower 40s. Most of the time we were driving at 75mph. I wore a Carhart hooded jacket with a sweat shirt and long sleeve T-shirt underneath. I did not get cold under the jacket. The hood was nice as it kept the cold air off the back of my neck. The knit cuffs were pulled over the top of my gloves. I even had my left arm on top of the door part of the time. However, my left leg got cold from the air coming in between the door and body. D shaped weather stripping coming. Oh yeah the heated seats helped too! Cannot say enough about them.
The same outfit down to 30* >:)

·
Unconventional Builder
5,498 Posts
I wear thermal under hooded sweatshirt and a hooded black Gore Tex rain/wind shell. Add other layers underneath as needed.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I highly recommend something in leather. I picked one up at my local department store for a couple hundred bucks, which is a lot for a jacket, but there isn’t much that will keep the wind out like leather. Not to mention, they’re comfortable, Black tends to soak up the sun, which helps keep you warmer, and they look right at home in a car like these. Go with something relatively thin, and you can layer a sweater underneath. I live in Utah, and drove in 20-40 degree weather all last week in mine. Leather jacket, and some leather gloves. Can’t go wrong.

Also, If the OP was asking for specific brands, mine is a Marc New York, or something like that. Amazon has a bunch for a good price, my gloves are from amazon.

·
Senior Charter Member
6,575 Posts
Several Options...

I usually wear a denim car show jacket, not lined, but fairly heavy. I also have heated seats and a heater with vents in the foot boxes, and in the dash.

If it is unusually cool I go to a "Letterman style" coat, with leather sleeves and wool body (the wool doesn't stick the the seats like leather does). An old friend made me one several years ago that just happens to highlight my town and the sleeve color matches my car (as you can see he made one for my wife as well).

It it is really cold put up my top and go back to the denim.

·
Too Cheap to paint!
6,248 Posts
Up here in the NorthEast, it all depends on the weather. When it's really cold - 20's - another vote for the heavy hoodie under a heavy warm jacket. I also ride motorcycles, so have a good, flexible heavy leather that keeps the wind out. Always a bandana too, neck, nose, or scalp protection! (in the pic, gangsta wear!)

As the temps rise, less clothing. But, when a jacket is needed, something thicker yet flexible.

And, always a pair of race gloves for my hands, heavier ones in the winter

I have worn my 3-Layer nomex race suit on some 20 degree mornings.

Attachments

·
6,306 Posts
My favorite combination in addition to the lined leather jacket and sweater combo is a wool scarf wound around my neck to seal up the top of the jacket. One last piece of equipment is (don't laugh) a set of ear muffs my wife bought me. The main thing is to experiment and find what works best for you. To me being able to add and subtract items on the fly as conditions change is key.
Frank

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
My favorite combination in addition to the lined leather jacket and sweater combo is a wool scarf wound around my neck to seal up the top of the jacket. One last piece of equipment is (don't laugh) a set of ear muffs my wife bought me. The main thing is to experiment and find what works best for you. To me being able to add and subtract items on the fly as conditions change is key.
Frank
This reminded me of some gifts I have gotten. My car has 100 treadware tires so it more the car than me that limits how cold I am willing to go.

That said I had promised some of the guys to do a cars & coffee but the weather turned unexpectedly cold. Having no fur on top I usually wear a baseball hat in the car but was too cold for my ears. Was given a soft leather, non-earphone, flight helmet one Christmas & it worked very well.

Wore the helmet & A2 over a sweat shirt & thermals driving very conservatively. Guys wanted to know where the Red Barons white silk scarf was when I drove up.:grin2:

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I just past my first year of Cobra driving. Last year, my first cold (28 F) weather drive was with no gloves, a thin lambskin leather jacket to cover my tee shirt and a beanie. My hands were blue when I got to work. That morning, I ordered up some insulated leather gloves, a back up beanie and a sweat shirt. I also installed seat heaters. One of the best investments yet.

As I am no rookie husband, I bought my wife a heated vest last year. I also have a "wife kit" with an extra beanie, scarf for ladies with long hair, and gloves. It is funny now that my lady friends that ride with me know about the kit and ask for it.

I will go check out some leather jackets with zip in liners tomorrow to see how they fit. I will also check out the Carhart jackets also. Thank you for all of the comments.

·
FFCobra Craftsman
23,048 Posts
If you wear something w/ a hood, also wear a tight fitting baseball cap. This way the bill of the cap will help turn the hood w/ your head. Otherwise there is the danger that you turn your head, the hood stays straight ahead, and suddenly you are looking out one eye only. We learned this in cold weather boating.

·
Registered
820 Posts
I wear an A2 with a fleece half-zip that’s zipped up. Baseball cap and 180s ear warmers. A pair of sailing gloves for grip and warmth. Wore a hoodie a couple times and didn’t like the reduced visabilty.

I have the seat heater wired but not installed. Will try to get them in sooner rather than later.

Reactions: carlewms

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I was wrong. The issue is not with the jacket. I drove today in 35 degree weather and with the miracle of heated seats my but and back were hot. The leather jacket kept the wind off of me. The gloves almost worked. The hoodie with knit hat did their job. But, wow my legs were cold. The Levis just do not work in that weather, even with the heater on. Still worth driving the Cobra. The winter smells was totally worth it.

·
Charter Member
3,441 Posts
I have plug in gloves and vest, motorcycle gear, with rheostats which work great. I actually have to turn down the temp on the vest as it gets too hot. When it gets real cold the full face motorcycle helmet goes on.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts