Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
I've been reading a lot about guys cutting their driveshafts (or getting them cut) to a certain length. Could you explaing why this is? I'm planning on going straight donor - 302, T5, etc. Would I need to have my driveshaft shortened? Thanks in advance!
David

·
Junior Charter Member
916 Posts
Yes,The d/s is much shorter for a FFR.

·
"The" FFR Master
3,172 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No, I haven't gotten the manual yet... Probably should. Besides Breeze, any other vendors who sell the correct length driveshaft? Also, I looked at that link, and it said that it was for MkI and MKII FFRs - does it make a difference if its going on an MkIII? Thanks again,
David

·
Registered
113 Posts
DK,
Order a manual.The price is deducted from your kit. This will give you a lot of info.
Also learn to use the search funtion on this site. This will help us all.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
3,378 Posts
Fortes has the shafts too.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey,
Thanks for the link, and I will try and order a manual soon. 54h, I use the search function before I post most of my questions. In a brief search, I found a bunch of threads detailing how and where guys got theirs shortened, but I couldn't find one that said why. Sorry, though, I'll try and search more thouroughly in the future.
David

·
Registered
420 Posts
Dave, the driveshaft is one of the last things that you will bolt into the chassis. After the engine/trans and rear are in, measure for driveshaft length. It will vary with the combination that you have installed. Mine came out to 9 3/8". Barry

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Dave,
The wheel base is 5" shorter on the Cobra but the big reason is because the engine is moved back to help with weight distribution. Mine went from about 4'? to 7" (the tube part)!!!

·
iBuild
5,824 Posts
Dave,

What Doug said, the wheelbase is shorter then on the Mustang, and the engine sits much further back then on a Mustang, resulting in a very short drive shaft.

-Scott

·
Slacker Extraordinaire
2,811 Posts
Got mine at Tristates on sale for 199.00. Couldn't find anyone to shorten it for less than 175.00 locally.

·
Registered
290 Posts
I had a local truck axle company build a new one for me from my donor parts. It is only 11" long and cute. It cost about $150 with new parts and balancing. Check the truck supplier companies they break them a lot more than the car guys do. Good question and good luck.
Bud

·
3,596 Posts
Dave,
Had mine done in a local shop for 125.00. Used my ends,used new tubing and put new U-joints on.Painted it too because all parts had been media blasted before final assy.
Later,
Sten

·
Junior Charter Member
835 Posts
54h - just to let you know - FFR doesn't deduct the cost of a pre-ordered manual anymore....

·
2,990 Posts
David,

As most have said the distance between the end of the transmission and the front of the differential on the FFR is much less then that on a Mustang. If you look in the first picture below next to the springs and below the fly wheel you can see the stock mustang drive shaft. The second picture shows my drive shaft installed in the FFR frame. Instead of having the stock drive shaft shortened I bought one from Fortes. Below is a link to a previous topic that might help.

http://www.ffcars.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi/ubb/get_topic/f/1/t/079739.html?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts