Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went for a roadtrip today and hit a bridge joint bit bit faster that I should and the rear-end made a noise like the starter would if I was trying to re-start the car while it was going.

It is safe to assume this was the drive shaft complaining at the excessive angle?

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
It was probably the drive shaft hitting the E-brake cable bracket. Check drive shaft for a scrape around its circumference or a gouge out of the balance weight.

·
Registered
119 Posts
:confused: I dont know but when I hit a dip in roadnot bumps it makes a grinding sound and if I hang onto the shifter I can feel it real good thru the tranny???? I have to ask the guy who put the tranny in to go for a ride. I will know next tuesday. Will keep you in mind....I also noticed the e-brake cable with a small fray, and used a wire loop screwed to the body to keep it away from the driveshaft.

·
Slacker Extraordinaire
2,811 Posts
Driveshaft bind sounds exactly like the driveshaft hitting the e-brake bracket. Inspect the driveshaft and if there is no obvious damage it is most likely bind. Mine was the same until I adjusted ride height and pinion angle

·
Premium Member
2,718 Posts
Also, with the 3-link, if your rear axle is offset more towards the passenger side, the driveshaft balance washers will contact the E-brake bracket over hard bumps. Ask me how I know this.

-Steve

·
ASE Tech & Shop Teacher
1,936 Posts
Yes, look at the shaft itself for marks from the P-brake. And also look very closely at and into the driveshaft yokes, for evidence of them contacting each other.

Do you have the limiter straps on?

·
Junior Charter Member
825 Posts
I had the u-joint bearing cups bottoming out on the inside of the front yoke when I hit a good dip or big bump. jt felt like someone hit the trans and shifter with a big hammer. the drive shaft was the one thing I painted a different color, this was a lot of help finding what was happening. I took a grinder and relieved the area and then adjusted the ride height a little, has not happened since.
charlie

·
2,931 Posts
Chipsdad
you got it right. When you feel something really unnerving like has been desribed above it is almost always the front universal in bind with the yoke that goes into the trans. The fix for this is:
1) remove the drive shaft and cleance the front yoke. ( not the area around the caps on the shaft) when it is out it is easy to see where they are hitting. use a die grinder and releave the area by about an 1/8" on both sides.
2) set the pinion angle at zero to minus 1 deg. down. This is done with a magnetic angle finder (which can be purchased at sears). Attach to the flange on the front of the rear end (where the drive shafts bolts on ) loosen the 2 jam nuts on the upper third link and adjust. Retighten the jam nuts.
3) set the rear ride height to 4 3/4" from the bottom of the frame rails to ground. you can go up to 5" if you carry adult sized guys like myself myself. LOL
4) while the shaft is out check to see if there is any interferance like with the e cable brackets.
Well this should do the trick and get you back up and going smoothly
Later
Mark D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts