Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Senior Charter Member
1,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While under the roadster today permanently buttoning up parking brake cables I noticed the driveshaft had a major scratch in the paint. On further investigation I could see it had come in contact with the brake cable bracket. I was able to move trans over by slotting the mount holes and I trimed the corner off the bracket but it still looks like it might hit during a heavy suspension compression. Just wondering if anyone else has had a problem with this??
Dave

·
Senior Charter Member
1,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
4 Link with all stock ford parts.

·
Vendor
8,399 Posts
I've heard of it happening but since you said it was just in the paint, the slotting and moving over should give you the clearance you need. It's just that the 4 link with stock bushings moves laterally a bit more that the arms with the urethane bushings or a lot more than the 3 link.

·
5,470 Posts
I had the same concern on mine, although it's 3 link. I ended up putting in a driveshaft hoop that very effectively keeps the cable from ever possibly hitting the driveshaft.

·
Senior Charter Member
1,051 Posts
Hitting the driveshaft and scratching it is one thing. Having it wrap around the d/s would be an all-together different experience.

·
Senior Charter Member
1,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Guys its not the cables that its hitting its the bracket that holds the cables to the frame. If you sight straight up or down the bracket hangs over the side of the driveshaft where if the shaft goes up far enough it comes in contact. To me the bracket should have been welded in a slightly different position toward the side farther. Oh well I'll repaint the shaft and keep an eye on it. As its only been gocarted up and down my long driveway afew times it was alittle disconcerting to see.
Dave

·
Premium Member
11,853 Posts
We wack the bracket to make sure it does not hit. Just trim the inside as much as you can without getting to the cables. HTH, Cheers Richard.

·
section 8
5,136 Posts
I had this , I took the die grinder to the bracket repainted the shaft . It took to 2 tries to get it right . What you could do if you have more talent than me is cut off the bracket and re weld it on after turning it 45* . If I remember correctly the cables go in on top of each other instead of side to side . Havent been under in a while and it's time for a bolt check for me so I'll see shortly if thats the case. Bob

·
Junior Charter Member
537 Posts
I cut the bracket off and drilled 2 holes through the cross brace. I then drove 2 pieces of tubing of the proper size (I forget) through the brace and welded them in place. Ground the ends flush and ran the cables through them. I am using the Lokar handle and cables. Works fine.

·
Premium Member
2,718 Posts
Yes, I trimmed my bracket with a die grinder and then touched it up. No problems now.

-Steve

·
Senior Charter Member
1,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the input guys.I feel alittle better now. Hopefully what I've done already will take care of the problem. I do need to adjust ride height up alittle that will probably help some too.
Thanks again Dave

·
FFCobra Craftsman
24,729 Posts
I think I've read about 20-30 posts where this has happened and been fixed or was offered as a possible solution to someones question.So don't worry,just cut,grind or bend to fix! Good luck

·
Premium Member
18,135 Posts
Originally posted by Dave M:
was able to move trans over by slotting the mount holes Dave
You've changed your pinion angle. Probably not for the better.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts