Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Gang,

I am in the process of reassembling my Mk II FFR. Body is still off. I just dropped in the engine/transmission. All good; in fact, textbook...

Problem is... I have the driveshaft still out. The front end is the spline that inserts in the transmission. The rear end is the (complete) u-joint with flange that bolts onto the differential. Okay, now the question:How the heck do I get this assembly in? That is, to insert the spline, the u-joint end gets in the way preventing straight alignment to slide the shaft in the transmission!

Oh, when I took this all out, I separated the engine block from the clutch housing and pulled the engine. I then decided to yank the rest and pulled out the clutch/transmission assembly separately. As I said, putting it all back in, I opted to assemble the entire thing (yes, without the driveshaft) and install it. All went well, until now...

Alright, I am hoping for an easy fix and not having to yank out the engine and/or transmission again...

Thanks as always,

Brian

·
Registered
130 Posts
Guess here but how about lifting the back by the frame and relax the suspension. Then move it in from the side or slightly above the rear end connection?

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
Leave the transmission mount loose and lift the back of the tranny as high as you can with a jack. With the rear axle hanging down, start with the flange above the differential then the shaft will go into the tranny.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks! I'll give it a try this evening.
Brian

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
I went through this a couple of times while rebuilding my engine recently. I found that if I placed the jack stands on the frame and let the wheels droop to my limiter straps, I had just enough room to mate the driveshaft from above the differential. I struggled with it the first time but once I realized that I needed to bring the driveshaft in from above the differential, it was easy. I should add that I have the Forte driveshaft loop as well and had no issues clearing it with this approach.

·
Snake Farmer
10,239 Posts
That wasn't the only thing I ran into during the build, that seemed utterly impossible, and had me cursing the world around me. :mad:
Then... suddenly it would just slip into place so darn easily, you'd think you were hallucinating.:huh:

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone. Got to it last night after work. Went in from the top as suggested and... no problem!

Nearly all mechanical is together. Just have to get the wiring done... Ugh, the worst part for me.
Fingers crossed...

Cheers,
Brian

1 - 7 of 7 Posts