Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Cobra Builder
1,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't want to go all "Hoofa" :D on it but I was wondering if anyone has notched the upper lip of the door to gain more "elbow and shoulder" room. I also have my steering set away from me (FFR wood wheel) and I could gain some hand room also. Just wondering if anyone has done it? Time to fire up the sawall :eek: :eek: ....

Pat

[ September 04, 2007, 03:45 PM: Message edited by: YYYMMAN ]

·
Junior Charter Member
3,114 Posts
It's your car. Go for it. Pete

·
Registered
603 Posts
why not. be sure to send some pic's.

·
Cone Killer
1,781 Posts
Pat,
I drove my car quite a bit with the doors off and I am still driving it in gel-coat. This is a mod I am seriously considering. Something sorta like the other British cars of the era. Not quite sure how to flow the line from dash back to the fender. Maybe something like this. (sorry to the owner of this car for butchering it in photoshop)

Perry

[ August 28, 2007, 05:08 PM: Message edited by: P_Matt ]

·
FFCobra Craftsman
23,041 Posts
The other thing you might want to try is modding the seat to move you as close to the trans tunnel as possible.Otherwise,the top of the door is non-structural so i'd try to move the top edge outward w/o changing the side view profile.

·
Junior Charter Member
346 Posts
Now that is a cool mod!

·
Cobra Builder
1,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Perry,

Now you have me thinking (TR-3/MGA look), but I just wanted to change the top edge and keep the upper part of the door edge in place.

Pat

·
Cobra Builder
1,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

This is what I'm thinking, about an 1 3/4" off the upper edge... What you guy think?

·
Junior Charter Member
352 Posts
Just a thought but if you were to extend the cutout back to the rear edge of the door would it flow a little better ?

·
Premium Member
17,871 Posts
The mod you're talking about was done to the original race cars in the 60's for exactly the reason you mention. But the original mod was a simple half moon shape removed just in the area of the driver's shoulder, not all across the door.

If you plan on using a soft top, the side curtains won't fit after you do the mods you marked out.

·
Junior Charter Member
831 Posts
I would miss the ability to rest my arm on top the door, that mod would almost hit me right on the funny bone. If you've done the test fits go for it and post pics!

·
Cobra Builder
1,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Here's the update, VERY happy, now my arm will fit inside the door and added room for my hands near the steering wheel.

Sorry about the mess, have a car to build here!

Pat

·
Junior Charter Member
805 Posts
OMG He did it !
that is a good idea,you should have foamed in the door before you closed it back up.

Sam

·
Cone Killer
1,781 Posts
Pat,

That looks like a great solution. Way to dive right in and "get er done"!

·
Charter Member
3,059 Posts
I like that - keeps the lines clean from outside of the car and you get the extra space inside.

·
Registered
9,942 Posts
Son of Hoofa!

·
Premium Member
10,252 Posts
Way to go Pat! Yet another mod that we must consider...

I like it, may just have to do that to mine. I like that extra room.

Should make Hoofa proud to see that he's spawned a protege!!

1 - 20 of 45 Posts