Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Senior Charter Member
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys, I'm getting ready to fit up the driver's side footbox sheet metal. The passenger side went smooth as silk. Here's my confusion:

The manual says to rivit the front foot box sheet metal in place before you set up the master cylinder and steering shaft which makes sense. I did that. Now I can't get the tabs to go where they're supposed to go since the front panel is siliconed and rivited in place (they tuck under the front footbox panel. I think). The issue is with the footbox inner panel and the two top panels.

What am I missing here. I really don't want to drill out rivits, split the glue and go over it again...

Mark

·
7,237 Posts
That's a "mistake" that's been in the manual since the Mark 1 days! :( You have a choice now....do as you said and drill the rivets out, or install w/ the tabs on the outside, which isn't as purdy.

·
Senior Charter Member
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
AAAAAARRRRRGGGGGGG. Wade you have confirmed my fears! Time to get the drill out.

·
5,559 Posts
I can't believe they haven't fixed that in the manual yet! Don't fret about the rivets, the drill will self center on the head, so removal is a piece of cake.

I fixed the flare tool today, so it's good as new when ever you need it. Took the wife and daughter out to dinner this evening down in Enfield with the car. What a great night for a cruise after the horrible humidity we've had!

Brian

·
Over Engineerer
2,921 Posts
Mark - Use a 1/4" drill bit to drill out the rivets. With that size, you can drill just deep enough to pop the head off, then you can tap out the rivet with a small punch. That way you don't end up with an enlarged hole.

·
Senior Charter Member
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys. Will tackle this slight deviation in plan shortly.

Brian, I'll give you a call. I'll just bring the brake line to your place.

Mark

·
5,559 Posts
Sounds good, Mark. That way you can take the "learning curve" out of the equation!

·
Charter Member
2,649 Posts
Mark,
After you finish drilling out your rivets, you may want to reconsider riveting in the the driver foot box sheet metal until later in your build.
I would suggest riveting in the floor and throttle side, but use clecos for the rest of the aluminum. I didn't rivet in the driver out board side and top until I was carpeting the car while the body was out for paint. It made it a lot easier fitting the gas pedal and throttle cable as well as trying to carpet the front of the foot box and transmission side of the foot box, etc, etc....
just my opinon.
Bob Mac
FFR3981

·
Slacker Extraordinaire
2,811 Posts
a little trick I learned from the "ricer" scene. They for some reason (shame?) like to remove all the badges from their cars to clean them up. For the 3m automotive tape, silicone, or other adhesives, braided fishing line works great. You can use it like a cable saw without causing damage.

Andy

1 - 11 of 11 Posts