Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I realize this might not belong in this forum , but it is roadster related, so please bear with me. Anyhow, does anyone remember the AAA driver training cars that had 2 steering wheels? They were just a regular big old Chevy or Ford 4 door sedan, had a chain/sprocket so the passenger side was connected to the driver wheel. If the student was too crazy, the instructor could "save " him/her from a crash. I'm looking to build a Cobra driver training car, donate to the local high school. Low hp for safety sake. I figure the kids will be fighting each other to take the course to learn how to drive in something cool.

·
Charter Member
4,001 Posts
Yep! I remember those Chevy Impalas and Ford Galaxies real well.
At our school getting driver's ed class was nearly impossible,so the only other alternative was to pay for training by schools like AAA with their dual steering wheel cars.
Boy I'm really dating myself!
The idea to use a Cobra with dual S/W for driver training is really pretty cool and may not be that hard to do.
Paul M.

·
Husband/Father/Son
12,461 Posts
Yes, growing up my neighbor used to run a driver training school. I can still remember the mid 70's LTD's and Mavericks with both a steering wheel, and a brake pedal on both sides of the car. Building a Cobra with both would be an interesting trick, can't wait to see it.

Bill S.

·
just another builder
8,238 Posts
check ebay or google...it is a set up designed to convert a regular car into a mail car in rural areas...jeep cherokees are common, I swear I've seen them for sale but don't remember where

maybe something like this

http://postalthings.com/

edited to post link

[ March 02, 2007, 02:49 PM: Message edited by: quicksand ]

·
Senior Charter Member
2,181 Posts
Can't you get something like what a mail carrier would use. Some of them have steering wheels on both sides.

·
Junior Charter Member
2,891 Posts
I drove a 63 Plymouth. It did not have the dual steering but did have a clutch and brake for the instructor. Yes it had three-on-the-tree. No automatics even for the girls.

·
past member
110 Posts
I used to work at San Jose State U.
One of my jobs was to convert the cars from year to year. Didn't have two steering wheels, just a brake setup for the instructor plus a special wheel/tire they could "blow out" then it would reinflate.
johnwasgood

·
FFR Craftsman
5,834 Posts
boy I remember the days of drivers training. Oddly, the year in HS that I got the class, I was the only BOY ... the rest were female. I thought "wow, how lucky can you get".... then I saw how they drove! :eek:

The Ford Brougham we used had only an additional brake, no steering. I did see an older converted car that did have the 2nd wheel. I wished we used that one with the girls; the teacher was probably more scared than I was!

·
FFCobra Fanatic
12,975 Posts
Wow that brings back memorys. Took drivers ed in a old dodge dart with the duel steering wheels. Don't remember it being anything fancy and you could see the chain and sprockets since they were exposed under the dash. Can't remember the pedal set up.

·
FFCobra Craftsman
1,177 Posts
Hmmm I hope this will be a 4 cyl car. Lightweight car with V8 power add one student driver,,,,,,An accident waiting to happen. Wonders what the schools insurance premium is on a glass bodied 90 inch wheelbase vehicle.

sorry bruce for the negative input.

Maybe good for advanced students,,,,,maybe.

In autoshop we used to service the drivers ed cars.I took the right front turn indicator wire and hooked it to the horn..student panic'd almost crashed the car when the horn started honking..swear to god this did happen.

·
Senior Charter Member
590 Posts
When I was trying to find a RHD Mustang steering rack, I had great trouble. Clearly Ford made RHD Mustangs, 'cos I saw one on E Bay, yet when I rang any Ford dealer, they said there was no listing for a rhd steering rack.

Eventually I met someone who had had a rhd Mustang and he told me that his car had a lhd rack and steering column up to behind the dash, than a chain drive across the back of the dash to the steering wheel on the the right hand side!

I didn't fancy 400 bhp being steered this way, so I got a rack from Unisteer, but may be you could do your conversion from stock Mustang parts!!

Ian

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.