Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I did things a bit differently and choose to have the body installed before making the final wheel adjustment in order to fine adjust the body when the wheels are aligned. Anyway i’m happy with the results but I’m in the position that the car needs to be road tested with the body on and no windshield. Have anyone done this? I’m just a bit worried that the air would lift the roof to the point that it breaks, but on the other hand there’s no door windows so the air should escape? If this is a big no no, I would need to install the windshield before testing which rather not before paint.
Thanks
/Johan

Attachments

·
Not a waxer
12,151 Posts
I recently did body and paint on a Daytona Coupe for a customer who drove a couple thousand miles in gelcoat prior to bringing it to me. He simply put the glass in the opening and ran duct tape around the perimeter. Worked out fine. After paint the windshield was installed permanently.

Jeff

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
when go-karting my roadster, I found that I was only able to get to around 30-40mph before my eyes would water too much w/o the windshield. I can't imaging that you'd be going fast enough to worry about the pressure lifting off the roof.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I recently did body and paint on a Daytona Coupe for a customer who drove a couple thousand miles in gelcoat prior to bringing it to me. He simply put the glass in the opening and ran duct tape around the perimeter. Worked out fine. After paint the windshield was installed permanently.

Jeff
Thank you for replying Jeff,
I guess duct tape would be a solution. As long as it holds up I should be fine

/Johan

·
Registered
165 Posts
I think you will be fine. I threw my body on for a test fit and didn't even have it fully secured and went for a drive. Nothing likely over 50mph. If you are road testing to check the alignment, you will find out if its off or not below 50 mph. I did my own string alignment in my garage and fine tuned it by road testing. I knew if it was off at speeds below 50. Since then I have had my engine tuned and have run it up to 75-80 in a go-cart w/o the body and my alignment is spot on.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
when go-karting my roadster, I found that I was only able to get to around 30-40mph before my eyes would water too much w/o the windshield. I can't imaging that you'd be going fast enough to worry about the pressure lifting off the roof.
Yes, I guess it wouldn’t be a problem. I was thinking of using goggles but maybe it’s a good idea to limit the speed around 50-60mph

thanks
/Johan

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think you will be fine. I threw my body on for a test fit and didn't even have it fully secured and went for a drive. Nothing likely over 50mph. If you are road testing to check the alignment, you will find out if its off or not below 50 mph. I did my own string alignment in my garage and fine tuned it by road testing. I knew if it was off at speeds below 50. Since then I have had my engine tuned and have run it up to 75-80 in a go-cart w/o the body and my alignment is spot on.
Thank you. I am doing all the testing on an old air strip so I guess the urge of going faster will be there :)
But I try to limit myself at around 50-60mph

/Johan

·
Junior Charter Member
699 Posts
I think you would be fine without, but duct taping it in as mentioned above would probably also work. Car does look great. What steering wheel is that, and where did you get it?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I think you would be fine without, but duct taping it in as mentioned above would probably also work. Car does look great. What steering wheel is that, and where did you get it?
Ok, I’ll try. Thank you! The steering wheel is a carbon e-bay one. The horn button I made myself. But it’s a standard bolt pattern to accept the most horn buttons

/Johan

·
Registered
469 Posts
I'm driving my Type 65 Coupe in gel coat with the windshield "temporarily" installed. I got a roll of 1/2" thick high density foam at Lowes and laid that in the channel, then set the windshield in place and taped it down with 2" wide Gorilla tape. It's been through two state inspections that way and 5,600 miles on the road with no issues.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I actually took it for a ride yesterday. I put some self adhesive plastic around the upper edge of the roof and around the roll cage in order to guide the air so it wouldn´t lift the roof and it worked great. But around 70-80mph it got to windy to go any faster. Now I need to continue with the build in order to have it registered.

Thank you all for great input.
/Johan

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts