Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Junior Charter Member
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been go-karting for a while and I occasionally hear a racket that sounds like it is coming from the shifter area. This typically happens when I am getting on it a little.
I have checked and nothing externally appears to be hitting anything and I am about convinced the driveshaft is binding axially under moderate loads (as things tend to move a bit). I looked at the installed shaft last night and I have about 1 inch of the shaft showing out of the back of the tranny, ie the input side of the driveshaft. There's about 1/4 inch of shiny place on the shaft at the rear of the tranny indicating how much it has travelled into the tranny from the static position. I am running the T5Z with stock bell housing and 4-link.
Do those dimensions sound right? Any similar experience?
Thanks,
Harry

·
FFCobra Craftsman
24,729 Posts
I think mine has a little less than that,maybe 3/4 inch, but it's been a while since I've looked at it.Check the u-joint area for binding.Imagine the u-joint at it's highest possible angle and look at the areas where the two parts would touch together.If the paint is chipped, you are binding.Since these shafts are so short they run at real high angles to accomidate suspension movement.If you jack the car by the axle and then look at the shaft,it should slope very slightly downward toward the diff.The diff flange should be 1/4 to 1/2 inch below the trans (imagine a flange at the trans also.good luck

·
2,860 Posts
Do you have a T-5...if so, it could be that aluminum 'little ear' off the transmission hitting the E-brake mounting when the motor torques under acceleration. Many cut that 'ear' off. Vincent Van Gogh did the same. :D :D :D

·
Premium Member
18,585 Posts
Can you feel it in your shifter? Driveshaft bind will leave evidence on the insides of the U-joints. You'll be able to see the small impact points.
What's your ride height? Stock builds usually only bind on the worst of dips and that can be adjusted out. Although, if you have stock springs, it's hard to get rid of tire rub without going to coilovers.

Mumble's right. Don't discount the e-brake issue either.

d

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Junior Charter Member
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
NAGA,
Yes. I can really feel it in the shifter - I mean really feel it. It seems to onset when I am accelerating quite a bit and in the 2nd/3rd gears. Bear in mind that Ican't get beyond that due to where I am limited to drive in the go-kart stage, but yes, it is very pronounced in the shifter. And it is quite audible.
Thoughts?
(And thanks to the others responding. I did check the aluminum tailstock for collision with the cross brace and that doesn't look like the problem.)
Thanks again,
Harry

·
Premium Member
18,585 Posts
Originally posted by NAGA:
...What's your ride height? ...
d
What's your ride height Harry? Make sure it's set within limits.

Is the vibration within a certain RPM range? Did you install new U-Joints in the driveshaft? I've heard guys say our driveshafts are too short to need balanced, but I balanced mine and recommend it as one of those, "can't hurt," kind of things.

d

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Junior Charter Member
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Don,
I think my ride height is correct. It's in the 4 1/4 - 4 1/2 inch range. I am also using the anti-sway bar originally with the rear end (95 Cobra donor). I'll take it out again and try to better capture the environment when it occurs. And I did have the shaft balanced when I had it shortened.
Thanks,
Harry

·
Junior Charter Member
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Correction - ride height in the rear is only 3 3/4. I'll jack that up some to the 4 1/2 - 4 3/4 range and try again. It mkaes me wonder if it has creeped down. When I originally set it, I had to undo the check straps, let the jack lower the rear end and hand turn the springs down as far as I could turn them. (It was at the point where I couldn't hardly turn them at all.)
We'll see.
Thanks,
Harry

·
Premium Member
18,585 Posts
Harry, until you give up on the stock springs and go to coilovers, the hot setup to adjust them is to, with the frame on jack stands, use your floor jack under the axle clear to one side. Make it go up and that will pivot the other side down. (you'll have to temporarily disconnect the strap on that side) That should loosen the spring on that side.
Switch sides and repeat.

btw, yes, you will get ride height changes with the stock springs. Go search into the old archived roadster forums and you'll find a lot of suggestions for how to clamp the springs to keep them from creeping.

HTH,

d

·
Junior Charter Member
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Don,
Are the coilovers adaptable to the 4-link? Maybe I should go ahead with that mod now? If so, I suppose I would buy the coilovers for the 87-93 Mustang and they should fit - correct?
Thanks again,
Harry

·
1st RFM/FFR Legacy Winner
26,002 Posts
Harry,

I think coilovers require a special bracket that bolts to each corner of the diff near the brakes.

Greg

1 - 11 of 11 Posts