Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Senior Charter Member
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just installed my drive shaft and it seems that there is a fair amount of exposed yoke, about 1 5/8". Is this okay? I am running 302 with T5 and IRS.
Thanks
Joe

Machine tool Machine Tool accessory Tool Auto part

·
Lifetime Journeyman
1,143 Posts
Mine's a four link, but it's up on the lift (4 post) & I just checked. About 1 1/2" measuring as in your pic, hasn't been a problem.

·
Senior Charter Member
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Alan! Another question: do I need to put a rubber boot or seal over the yoke as it inserts into the transmission?
Joe

·
Lifetime Journeyman
1,143 Posts
From the angle of your pic, I couldn't tell if a seal was present. Mine does have one, attached to the tranny & the yoke slides in, it angles inward from the rear face of the tranny tail to the driveshaft, extends out maybe a quarter inch. This was included in my measurement.

·
Junior Charter Member
2,071 Posts
Spline engagement?

Just installed my drive shaft and it seems that there is a fair amount of exposed yoke, about 1 5/8". Is this okay? I am running 302 with T5 and IRS.
Thanks
Joe

View attachment 36481
RoKaNo:

There is a little over 4 inches of available spline area on a standard T5 yoke so you have about 2-1/2 inches of splines in contact. With your engine description, that should be enough to be reliable. On my custom drive shaft that I had made, I have 5/8 inch showing to get the most amount of yoke spline contact and the most in the bearing in the tailshaft housing. The axle moving up and down only needs that much to allow for movement in driveshaft and yoke. Don't forget if you have the axle at full droop it will pull the yoke out of the tailshaft housing quite a ways.

There was a couple of threads on this forum a little while back discusssing this issue. It seems that FFR has shipped some drivelines that are short or the engines are set more forward or something. A search for "yoke" will get you some answers. There are several styles of rear tailshaft housing yoke seal. One style has a seal and a rubber "scraper" on the outside of the seal that cleans dust and dirt off the yoke as it moves to prevent junk form getting into the seal proper. That scraper sticks out about 1/4 or 5/16 inch behind the seal. Timken number 5202 rear seal has that scraper on it to prevent dirt from getting into the seal.

1955-1962, 1977-1993 Ford Thunderbird Automatic Transmission Rear Seal - Transmission - Timken 55-62, 77-93 Thunderbird Automatic Transmission Rear Seal - 15284-05068908 - PartsGeek

Ron

·
Junior Charter Member
2,071 Posts
Oops

Ron, he has IRS, so axle no movement. That shaft engagements seems fine.
My Bad. Lack of paying attention to the signature. No problem with that spline as Rich says.

Ron

·
Senior Charter Member
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.