Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
cap'n hook
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Could you share any pics of your drive shaft offset. This would be the offset driver side to passenger side. Or does anyone know what the range of acceptable angle is. I centered my engine and trans when I fabricated my mounts and have been told my angle is to great. My kit is not here so I don't have a pic handy. I'll see if I can dig one up.

·
Senior Charter Member
1,752 Posts
Unless you've done something extremely crazy I don't see how you could get it that far off considering the tightness of the tunnel. After all I've seen some truck shafts with some very large offsets from trans to rear end and they live just fine.

·
Not a waxer
11,769 Posts
Unless you've done something extremely crazy...
You obviously aren't familiar with Jim's project :grin2:

Some might call it crazy---I call it pretty cool!

Jeff

·
FFCobra Craftsman
22,723 Posts
You obviously aren't familiar with Jim's project :grin2:

Some might call it crazy---I call it pretty cool!

Jeff
Well heck Jim, don't keep the rest of us in the dark.

·
Senior Charter Member
1,752 Posts
Jeff, after rereading the car info ( which I only glanced at quickly the first time) I see that he's running a Ford 300 6 banger w/ an AOD. That how ever doesn't explain why if he has the motor and trans centered, somebody is telling him he has too much side to side offset??? Unless said person thinks that the engine/trans and rear end need to be perfectly in line down the center of the car. I've always been told and have read that its more important to have the assemblies center lines as parallel as possible in the side to side, and up and down planes, and that offset is not an issue unless it's so extreme that the universals bind.

·
FFCobra Craftsman
22,723 Posts
Jeff, after rereading the car info ( which I only glanced at quickly the first time) I see that he's running a Ford 300 6 banger w/ an AOD. That how ever doesn't explain why if he has the motor and trans centered, somebody is telling him he has too much side to side offset??? Unless said person thinks that the engine/trans and rear end need to be perfectly in line down the center of the car. I've always been told and have read that its more important to have the assemblies center lines as parallel as possible in the side to side, and up and down planes, and that offset is not an issue unless it's so extreme that the universals bind.
I agree. As long as the center lines are parallel, offset is fine.

·
Premium Member
17,842 Posts
Could you share any pics of your drive shaft offset. This would be the offset driver side to passenger side. Or does anyone know what the range of acceptable angle is. I centered my engine and trans when I fabricated my mounts and have been told my angle is to great. My kit is not here so I don't have a pic handy. I'll see if I can dig one up.
The lateral angle (side to side) is the same as pinion angle. Get the lateral angle of the pinion the same as the lateral angle of the drive line. As said above, the lines should be parallel.

The drive shaft U-joint angles are important, too. In both planes, they need to be less than 3*.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts