Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It looks like I will have to shim the transmission mount up about 1.3 inches to align the drive shaft. I got the engine and s10 moded transmission in. I got a trans mount from Mike Forte and it aligns with the trans and frame. Does this sound about right? Do you think washers would work or should I make a solid spacer?

·
Registered
839 Posts
Is that a mount just for that mod?

·
Registered
4,741 Posts
That seems much higher than I remember. Is that in addition to the tranny mount? I was thinking like 1/2", but I need to measure it again.

·
Premium Member
18,010 Posts
1.3" is kind of a lot. What - exactly - do you mean by "alignment" of the drive shaft? Are you trying to make it all in one line, or did you actually measure pinion angle agains the power angle?

If you're not sure, do a search on "Pinion Angle", and you'll get some pretty good explanations and pictures.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
S10 Tailhousing

I added about 3/4" spacer under the mount and the FF5 transmision frame that comes with the kit added another 1/2" spacer under the two frame mounts otherwise the S10 tail housing would sit on the frame. I didn't think that was a good idea. I worked it out. JJ

·
Registered
3,623 Posts
Roadsterman: Bob Cowen knows a lot about trans alignment but he needs to share his knowledge and explain things better. The trans alignment/pinion angle depends a lot on which rear axle you are using. As to the search function Bob was referring to try this: go to google and enter the following: site:ffcars.com anything you want info about like site: ffcars.com driveshaft angle or trans alignment or solid axle pinion angle and you will get lots of info. I've been thinking about this for awhile since it is a critical part of a correct car. What I would like to see is a list of things that the average builder needs to do for this set up on an IRS car and a solid axle car. Things like determining crankshaft ange and pinion angle then the steps to follow to bring each type of set up into spec. Bob has the knowledge for sure but just telling someone you are wrong then not explaining why IMHO is not a learning experience.
HTH
CB

·
Premium Member
18,010 Posts
Bob has the knowledge for sure but just telling someone you are wrong then not explaining why IMHO is not a learning experience.
HTH
CB
And that's why I wrote this:
If you're not sure, do a search on "Pinion Angle", and you'll get some pretty good explanations and pictures.
If you look up above and to your right, you'll see the "Search" function. From there, you can search titles and posts, and look for any phrase you want to look for.

Search on "Pinion Angle", both in the body and in the title. Most of the good information is in the roadster forum, but some is in the Coupe forum. Do a broad search in a lot of forums, and you'll find what you're looking for.

I didn't repost that info on this thread, because it's pretty extensive.

Also, if you do a Google web search on "Pinion Angle", you'll find some good articles from mags like Car Craft and Street Rodder. They have excellent descriptions, diagrams, and pictures.

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
It looks like I will have to shim the transmission mount up about 1.3 inches to align the drive shaft. I got the engine and s10 moded transmission in. I got a trans mount from Mike Forte and it aligns with the trans and frame. Does this sound about right? Do you think washers would work or should I make a solid spacer?
The stock Mustang transmission mount height works fine, you have to drill new mounting holes in the stock Mustang transmission mount for the S10 tailshaft.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Anxious to learn how this sorts out ..

There's always something ....

I'm also doing the mid-shift mod with an S10 tail section and hadn't considered the potential of a 'ripple effect' on the trans mount .... or missed mention of it in my earlier searching. :(

So information on what to use for "as-needed" spacers (a stack of washers seems pretty tacky) and/or pictures of solutions would be much appreciated.

(I'd redo the Forum searching - but working on this "foreign" laptop, and given the limited internet connectivity while on vacation makes serious Forum searching an exercise in frustration at best. :confused:)

Many thanks

Lynn

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
Here is a picture of the stock mustang T5 mount (on left) and the hybird mount that Mike Forte has (on right), you can see the height differences here, I have used the stock mustang T5 mount with my S10 tail shaft and no issues, as I indicated I had to redrill the holes in the stock mustang T5 mount to fit the S10 tailshaft mounting bolts.

·
Junior Charter Member
324 Posts
S-10 mount used

I used a S-10 poly mount and made a plate up. I wasn't sure how far back the S-10 tailshaft would end up so I used a steel plate and the drilled the four attaching bolts/studs to be around the middle of the slots in the trans support brace. The plate nuts and washers made up for the fact the S-10 mount is shorter. The four studs pass thru the trans support bracket and have washer and nuts underneath that clamp the plate in place. Probably overkill, but work out well

Attachments

·
Charter Member
3,866 Posts
I used a S-10 poly mount and the extra plate (that came with mount) and slotted the holes in the trans frame mount (Black Coupe).
No odd or extreme angles that the driveshaft wasnt designed to handle.

But looking at Beal's picture I can see why you guys need such a big spacer.
If you didn't have the spacer the trans would hit the trans frame mount bracket.
On MkII and earlier and Coupes you don't have that issue.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts