Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
FFCobra Craftsman
2,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With all this talk about mounting items to the windshield frame I have to ask how folks are drilling this? I fear even taking it out of the box.... I would seem the drill would be the death of the glass? Any tricks besides the hands of a surgeon? I am far from steady Eddie!

Thanks....

·
FFCobra Fanatic
2,578 Posts
When I mounted my wind wings, I drilled the post right on the car. Never took the w/s off. Just be careful. If that's what you're trying to do, it can be done. If you use the existing c/l of the four screws that hold the frame to the post, you won't go wrong. Use the correct drill (start small first) for the thread you are going to tap. Then drill just through the side post. This is only about 3/16" so you can put a piece of tape or rubber hose over the drill to limit your depth. Next tap the hole. Use air to clean it out and mount your wind wing block. Or, you can do it the other way and just drill through the post behind the w/s and put a nut on it. Yuck!

·
Senior Charter Member
515 Posts
I bought longer stainless screws from Lowes and removed 2 screws from windshield frame and mounted the wind wings in this manner. No drilling no tapping.
Buzz

·
6,559 Posts
Just did this tonight. The screws that came with my w/ws are 10-32. The screws that come out of the side posts are 10-24s. I pulled one of the side posts screws and inserted the drill until it was short of the brass slider on the other side to get the depth and taped the drill for reference. I drilled new holes just below the side post screws and tapped per weendoggy's instructions. When you drill into the side post, you'll feel the drill pop through the other side just before it hits the brass slider that is between the side post and glass. No sweat, just make certain the mounting screws are not too long that they would smack the glass. The screws for the side posts are not perpendicular to the posts and I felt that the w/w screws would be cocked if I used the existing holes.

·
FFCobra Craftsman
2,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the tips...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts