Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Charter Member
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ran out of bits and patience one night recently and thought I'd try the factory method.... self tapping sheet metal screws. We get our kits with some aluminum panels already in place for shipping. We then unscrew them and then rivet them back on. One advantage we Canadians have is Robertson (square socket head) screws. I bought a few hundred #6 and tried it. These nuts don't slip off your bit and even sometimes don't come off unless you force them. Any Canadian will tell you they prefer them over any other fastener. Used a spring loaded center punch to put a tiny dimple where I wanted to put one. Wow! it takes 2 seconds to drill and fasten per screw. I'll do a video to demonstrate later. It takes an impact drill to do it. Advantages are really fast holes drilled and threaded. Removable screws allow clean non-destructive and quick disassembly and reassembly. You can use them as pilot holes for larger rivets or nut-rivets. If you strip them you can go to the #8 size. I don't see a down side.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Be careful and do not overtighten. The head of the screw will snap off and drilling the self tapping screw is not something you want to do. I used Tec screws in the same method as you describe and broke one off. Best to dress the screw shank down and drill close to it for the rivet.

·
Not a waxer
11,879 Posts
When we (Ron, Henry and I) did the 3 day Coupe build in the Factory Five display at SEMA in 2018 we used those for all of the aluminum. The plan was that it would only be temporary, the car would be disassembled and then built permanently with rivets and adhesive during another live build at Barrett-Jackson Scotsdale the following January. Well, the plan changed, the car was not disassembled and got auctioned with the screws just as we had put it together!

Jeff

·
Junior Charter Member
698 Posts
I’m sure I remember someone posting that they used a handful of self tapping screws to drill all their rivet holes, instead of drill bits.

A friend told me that one of the tracks they go to would turn you away for building with self tapping screws because of the risk of them falling out and puncturing a tire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Charter Member
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I’m sure I remember someone posting that they used a handful of self tapping screws to drill all their rivet holes, instead of drill bits.

A friend told me that one of the tracks they go to would turn you away for building with self tapping screws because of the risk of them falling out and puncturing a tire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think that's quite sensible for a race track car but I've had more blown tires from much larger bolts and transport truck parts lying on the road.

·
Charter Member
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Be careful and do not overtighten. The head of the screw will snap off and drilling the self tapping screw is not something you want to do. I used Tec screws in the same method as you describe and broke one off. Best to dress the screw shank down and drill close to it for the rivet.
Yes, you have to be quick off the trigger once it digs in. I have not stripped one yet and if you torque the head off you can punch it through and either drill/rivet or screw in a #8 to replace it. I'm just amazed how fast it goes instead of drilling each hole first.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts