Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Working on getting my garage in shape for upcoming order....Pops gave me a drill press for x-mas and I was wondering if any of you guys used one in your build.

·
3,760 Posts
Cobralover, I'm sorry to inform you that there has been a mistake. I asked Santa for a drill press and didn't get one. Obviously mine was accidentally left under your tree by the overworked fat guy in red.

Please forward to my home immediately. There isn't anything you could possibly need it for during your build, honest.

AJ

·
779 Posts
I used one of my drill press's to engine-turn my firewall... and for cross drilling nuts and bolts for safety wire, etc.

Michael~

[ December 29, 2003, 06:28 PM: Message edited by: Turn Two ]

·
FFCobra Craftsman
1,899 Posts
Hell yea! Very handy to have around. I use it every chance I can. You will find yourself using it quite a bit! Good luck, G.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies. I'm up for a new job and if I get it, I will recieve enough of a raise to be able to afford a kit in 5-6mos or so. Already have spousal approval, so keep your fingers crossed for me! :D

·
Registered
5,294 Posts
My father gave me his drill press that he had since I was a kid when he bought a new one. It is one of those tools that may sit unused for a year, but when you need it, it is a great thing to have. I have used it several times during my build.

·
Charter Member
1,249 Posts
Just purchased one today. Sears has a great sale on their 1.5 hp 17" standup press. Wish I would have had one during the build. I am sure you will get lots of use out of it.

·
Junior Charter Member
190 Posts
I asked Santa for one too, but it never showed up under my tree either??? Sure that one was for you, AJ?

It would come in very handy I would think. Not only for drilling holes, but also for light grinding with a small grinding wheel. It would be about the equivelant of a Dremel tool, only stationary. Another use; I could have used one last night for checking the run-out in a bent crankshaft/clutch nut on a radio controlled car. They aint just for drillin'.

Greg

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Keep the ideas comin' guys! I personally just love walking into the garage and seeing my workshop taking place. I can almost picture the kit in there in boxes!! ;) Now if my employer would just see fit to give me the job(and raise) I want, the madness could really begin.
Chris

·
Registered
336 Posts
I don't have one could have come in handy several times. I did borrow the neighbor's press to drill out my spindles for the bump steer kit. Wanted to make sure that was straight.

Some things I did get for my shop that I use a lot are: Big honking air compressor (started with a little portable one but wan't enough air), sand blasting cabinet for cleaning donor parts, and a powder coat gun for making those blasted parts look good for a long time.

Good luck on getting a kit!

-Matt

·
Sr FFR builder
5,565 Posts
Are you kidding? I drilled all the rivit holes with mine. Has a bit of a tough time getting in the tight spots. :D :D :D

Seriously, it did come in handy for jobs like: opening the tierod holes on spindles for bump steer kit, and for very accurate drilling applications.

·
16,719 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts