Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My state requires a DOT-approved third brake light mounted above the others and a reverse light. I'd like to preserve the lines without as best I can and am looking for a "sleek" combined option.

Anyone have any low-profile options that combines both the brake + backup light without looking like a boat trailer? I'm looking for something to mount as seen in pic below.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Mini cooper reverse light mount down low in the middle

and Watson street works LED micro 3rd brake light mounted on the back edge of the trunk or between the roll bars (if you have dual roll bars)
Retro Round Micro 3rd Brake Light

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Do a search on 'geebang' as the author as he has a beautiful roadster in AU that requires a third brake light. His name is Chris and is a good guy (what Aussie isn't!) and can let you know where he picked it up from. Here is a pic of his car with the light, hope he does not mind.

Edited to add he sent me a couple links to the light:

http://www.snakebite.com.au

http://ozautoelectrics.com/hella-high-level-brake-lamp-universal-12v.html

Looks like it's a Hella product so you should be able to pickup domestically.

Reactions: geebang

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Do a search on 'geebang' as the author as he has a beautiful roadster in AU that requires a third brake light. His name is Chris and is a good guy (what Aussie isn't!) and can let you know where he picked it up from. Here is a pic of his car with the light, hope he does not mind.

That's exactly what I was looking for, thanks for the link. I was hoping there was a model that combined the brake light AND reverse light. It guess it might really be easier to mount a tiny hidden backup light by the fuel tank.

·
8,350 Posts

Attachments

·
Junior Charter Member
448 Posts
Unless something changed, NY does not require the third brake light, only the reverse light (just went thru the process last summer). Like other have mentioned, I used the mini cooper reverse in the lower panel under trunk.

·
Geek
1,635 Posts
I have both a 3rd brake light and a reverse light. Although my state (Texas) requires neither, I strongly believe in features that make my car safer to drive on an everyday basis (including e.g. a passenger side roll bar, and headrests).

My 3rd brake light is a Hella unit sourced from a US supplier here:
Hella HL23102 Center High Mounted Stop Lamp. | Rally Lights

See pics below. I sprayed it myself to match my color, and while not perfect, it is adequate and IMHO does not look out of place.

For my reverse light, I chose this LED unit from Amazon:
Amazon.com: KAWELL® Off Road 18W CREE Ultra-thin 60 Degree LED Flood Light for Jeep/truck/atv/suv: Automotive

I have mounted it beneath the bumper and angled such that it practically disappears from view unless you are specifically looking for it from a low angle. A part of the beam is obscured by the bumper but there is plenty left over to really light up what's behind you at night. See pics below, especially the pair where the light is off (disappears from view) and on (very visible).

Hope this helps...

·
Registered
382 Posts
i agree with the added safety...not required in NH. i used a "plasma rod" which is low profile but wicked bright, not sure if it is DOT. also added headrests.

Attachments

·
Junior Charter Member
1,384 Posts

Edited to add he sent me a couple links to the light:

Snake Bite: Cobra Parts & Accessories for your AC Cobra 427, Cobra Kit, Ford/Shelby Cobra, Cobra Replica, Cobra Kit Car

Hella High Level Brake Lamp - Universal, 12V 5242

I bought this third brake light last year. Only place I could find it was Australia, but they shipped it to me no problem and shipping was only about $25. It will take a few weeks. I could not find this in the USA or Canada.

·
Cobra Builder
1,724 Posts
Third brake light not needed on a Cobra in NY.

Backup light can be solved without cutting the body. PM me if you need any other questions answered about NYS registration,

Pat

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks Pat! I just called the NY State Tech Department and they confirmed that for Cobra Replicas (I guess it's the #1 Homebuilt vehicle in the state) they don't require the 3rd brake light, despite the required equipment list. Just backup light.

That being said ....
I have both a 3rd brake light and a reverse light. Although my state (Texas) requires neither, I strongly believe in features that make my car safer to drive on an everyday basis (including e.g. a passenger side roll bar, and headrests).
I love the setup you have ram_g. I think I'm going to just go ahead and purchase that Hella unit.

·
Master of my Build
2,028 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
i agree with the added safety...not required in NH. i used a "plasma rod" which is low profile but wicked bright, not sure if it is DOT. also added headrests.
I noticed i you pic you have a rear mount glove box, was this custom made or did you get a ’kit’ from somewhere?

·
Too Cheap to paint!
6,239 Posts
Any other trunk ideas, molded in near the back edge?

·
Registered
525 Posts
Any other trunk ideas, molded in near the back edge?
no,not molded into car It’s under it. I made a bracket so the light sits flat and with the angle Of the lense being that is on the cab of a “TRUCK” lol reflects down perfectly. i Refused to flush mount a light in the body that will never look right and just don’t belong there. thought of this and I couldn’t be more happy?. Although I must say the whole led in roll bar is a great idea aswell.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts