Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Charter Member
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone had problems with aligning the doors and hood (with a Factory Five hinge kit) on a Factory Five kit? Mine is about to drive me nuts. It appears that the door hinges are set too low. If I adjust the hinge as low as it will go on the door and as high as it will go on the frame the door still is too low to close, let alone latch. There is not enough material on the hinge for me to feel comfortable about removing enough of it to make the door fit. The holes in the frame are drilled as high as they can be and leave no room for redrilling.

As for the hood hinge. The mount points for the body are about a 1/4 to a 1/2 inch to far forward. If I mount it as it is the hood will overlap the body and show a gap in the front.
Any suggestions?

·
Registered
396 Posts
Yep, the ol' FFR Hood hinge fitment issue. Your best bet there is to throw it away. Just kidding, some people have gotten it to work. I have yet to be happy with mine. Mike Mack is selling a replacement hood and hinge that is supposed to be better. Pics make it appear that way. Only drawback is the 550$ price. Of course, paying a painter 40$ an hour to finish the underside of the FFR and fiddle with the hinge to get mediocre(sp?) fitment is expensive too. Your problem sounds a little odd. Got any pictures you could post? Is your hood too small to fill the hood opening? If so, I would call FFR. I haven't heard of that problem before.

As for the doors, do you have your windscreen mounted yet? I(and others here) had to redrill the side body mount holes on the driver's side to allow the body to sit down where it should on that side. Maybe you have a similar problem.

John

[ June 16, 2002, 11:41 PM: Message edited by: BBC71Nova ]

·
Premium Member
8,327 Posts
I have the older door hinges so I'm no help there.
But as far as the hood hinge goes there are some good tips in some past posts, you might try a search on both problems.
I ended up bending the hinge arms to make them work, others awear by the process of just cutting the triangle plates off, bolting them to the hood, setting the hood on the body and then tac welding them. You can swing up the hinge ams and tac weld them through the nose.

Both are probally the hardest things to do but lots of guys get them looking very good with time and persistance.

[ June 17, 2002, 09:59 AM: Message edited by: russ thompson ]

·
Senior Charter Member
1,016 Posts
I had to remove some of the glass from inside the body around the door latch. It was really thick in this area and the body wasn't sitting all the way down on the frame. Once I ground it out, the body settled down and the doors fit pretty well (still needed to open up the holes in the hinge!)

Gratz

·
FFCobra Fanatic
2,598 Posts
I too have the older door hinges but the only way to make it look good was to do some custom work. I'd do what you can to make the hinge setup work right and then do some glass work on the doors to make them fit. This is work but well worth the finished product.

As for the hood, I used the FFR setup and bent the two hinge rods to fit after the hood was in place. Do this through the nose. I also added an extra brace setup to take weight off the body when the hood is up. This keeps the hood the same without any body flex. Again, I did some custom glass work to make it tight. Works just fine.

I've seen a newer body and the panels fit much better but to get what you want, you may need to do some glass work. imo, this is the most intensive part of the project but final results are more than worth the effort.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts