Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The inner door panels are pretty wavey, so not a big deal- door pocket will cover it. BUT the outer door skin is high in the front and back and sunk in in the middle. I have ground some, persuaded with heat and clamps and it is some better, but not perfect. If I fill this area it will be almost the whole outer door panel. What to do?

These doors have taken more time than the entire body prep. The newer doors are so much better!

Body is ready to wetsand and shoot color, doors are holding me up and causing pain. Please help.

Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
7,237 Posts
About the only thing to do at this point is skim coat it with filler and block sand, block sand, block sand. :(

·
Registered
125 Posts
Yep, that's what I did skim and block, skim and block. You are right about the doors, trunk and hood taking longer than the body.

·
Senior Charter Member
365 Posts
Carpet!

·
FFCobra Fanatic
592 Posts
Tom, I didnt spend any extra time on my outer door skin other than some filler primer and a little block sanding and now I wish I had, its more noticable than I thought. Tha being said the rest of the body and paint turned out well enough that I'm still happy with it, but mine probably wont see much in the way of car shows, however if I was doing it again I would have spent a little more time on it.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Sorry Dude, If it's HP you want, I can help. If it's gotta look pretty in the end; I'm not your man.
Just the same, let me know if you need a hand,
Until then, I'll go back to breaking drill bits (currently on #8 1/8")

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think I will just be doorless for a while.

The passenger door is about 1/8" low in the center- front to back. The drivers door is within 1/32", so maybe the K38 will take care of it, I shall see.

The inner skin is so bad, I did not even measure it. It is as wavey as the lake on Sunday afternoon.

I have the hood in pretty good shape. The bottom is nice and smooth. I broke down and used the 1/4 sheet orbital to get it close after several layers of West with 410 filler.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
903 Posts
Call FFR and ask for a new one! They should stand behind the product like any other manufacturer.

·
FFCobra Craftsman
2,076 Posts
Except look at his FFR#2572.

He is WAY before the MKII kits, the new doors may not physically fit without modification.

Anyone know?

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Tom, your more than welcome to borrow my doors to see if they would fit or simply to duplicate. Just let me know, meanwhile, I've got more drill bits to break... (Damn rear bulkhead!)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts