Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I began the process of installing these yesterday. The studs make it dfficult to simulate the installed mirror. Anyone have a tip or technique for installing the mirrors. I want them to appear level and still be functional. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
11,448 Posts
Use the black plastic trim plate from the mirrors as a template on the door so you can see how far down you need to be so the base of the mirror is below the top edge of the door. I usually place the mirrors as high and as close to the top edge of the door as possible.

Make sure the door is closed and the car is level and all of the mirror studs are tighened down into the mirror base equally (so none of the studs are sticking up higher than the others)

Put masking tape down on the surface of the door where the studs will make contact......helps to keep the studs from sliding around on the gel-coat.

Place the studs against the door in the location you want the mirror. Hold mirror tight to door in one hand and place a level vertically against the face of the mirror housing (so the reflective mirror surface is behind the level......level not on the actual mirror surface....just the rim that surrounds the mirror)

Pivot the mirror until the level reads.....well level, and mark the 3 stud locations onto the surface of the masking tape/door. Set mirror aside and use the trim ring again as a template over the 3 stud holes to mark the location for the 3/4" hole needed for the connector to pass thru.

Drill holes, mount mirror.

·
Senior Charter Member
2,181 Posts
Use the black plastic trim plate from the mirrors as a template on the door so you can see how far down you need to be so the base of the mirror is below the top edge of the door. I usually place the mirrors as high and as close to the top edge of the door as possible.

Make sure the door is closed and the car is level and all of the mirror studs are tighened down into the mirror base equally (so none of the studs are sticking up higher than the others)

Put masking tape down on the surface of the door where the studs will make contact......helps to keep the studs from sliding around on the gel-coat.

Place the studs against the door in the location you want the mirror. Hold mirror tight to door in one hand and place a level vertically against the face of the mirror housing (so the reflective mirror surface is behind the level......level not on the actual mirror surface....just the rim that surrounds the mirror)

Pivot the mirror until the level reads.....well level, and mark the 3 stud locations onto the surface of the masking tape/door. Set mirror aside and use the trim ring again as a template over the 3 stud holes to mark the location for the 3/4" hole needed for the connector to pass thru.

Drill holes, mount mirror.
Would you be interested in writing a assembly manual for a popular Kit Car? :whistling: Nicely done.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts