Factory Five Racing Forum banner

Door Latches

839 Views 9 Replies 8 Participants Last post by  JKleiner
Never really heard people complain too much about door latches on here.

However one of mine failed of course. Lol

When I went on to the factory five website they had two options - one if you got your latches pre-spring of 2022.

I was in that category I went ahead and ordered them.

I highly recommend them. They're very well made much better than the previous ones, I got with the kit. Obviously they knew something was going on there and changed them out.

So if you still have latches pre-spring 2022 then I suggest you buy those and switching them out. So much better!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
They actually changed them because their vendor couldn't supply them post-COVID. The old ones will work well with a couple of simple mods and some attention when setting them up. My only objection to the new ones is that they work "backwards" from what I've grown used to over the past 20+ years!

Jeff
Reactions: 1
They actually changed them because their vendor couldn't supply them post-COVID. The old ones will work well with a couple of simple mods and some attention when setting them up. My only objection to the new ones is that they work "backwards" from what I've grown used to over the past 20+ years!

Jeff
Jeff, what mods do you recommend? I am having some new issues with my pre 2022 mkVI passenger door latch. Worked fine for several years now feels loose and door sticks. Any mods to help would be appreciated

This is one of several threads. Too bad the pics aren't loading. I cant recall exactly what I did to mine but it worked. Keep searching you should find some more info
Jeff, what mods do you recommend? I am having some new issues with my pre 2022 mkVI passenger door latch. Worked fine for several years now feels loose and door sticks. Any mods to help would be appreciated
search for "wade's door latch mod".
Kleiner also recommends ditching the lower spring and keeping just the plunger spring.
Reactions: 1
. . . Kleiner also recommends ditching the lower spring and keeping just the plunger spring.
Jeff,
Curious your thoughts on why to ditch the lower spring? Does it make the latch that much harder to use/latch fully?

Paul
Yes it doubles the force to move the latch arm. I ditched mine with no adverse affects.
Jeff,
Curious your thoughts on why to ditch the lower spring? Does it make the latch that much harder to use/latch fully?

Paul
Once you have the plunger working smoothly it's somewhat redundant and the added resistance is applied to the stamped sheet metal lever which tends to want to make it bend.

When doing the "Wade Mod" I use an elevator bolt rather than carriage bolt and then you don't have to grind down the head. Other items to address are to make sure that when the plunger is retracted that it is flush or below flush with the latch housing---if not file it so that it is and ease over the edges. Also put a 1/16" or so chamfer on the hole in the striker horseshoe. I lube the whole works with dry PTFE spray. Once installed on the door make sure that the rotating portion on the backside isn't rubbing on the fiberglass (or if used on the latch spacer). If so relieve them so that there is no binding. Once aligned properly they'll work smoothly and last for years. (y)

Jeff
Jeff, what do mean "..put a 1/16" or so chamfer on the hole"?
I did all the mods and the door still sticks.
Jeff, what do mean "..put a 1/16" or so chamfer on the hole"?
I did all the mods and the door still sticks.
Google is your friend! ;)

Chamfer is just relieving the sharp edge around the bore of a hole...less deep than a countersink. It'll help the latch pin drop into the striker hole more easily but won't help with sticking. If you're sticking it's a problem with misalignment between the latch and striker that it engages.

Jeff
See less See more
1 - 10 of 10 Posts