Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Senior Charter Member
1,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody had problems with the door latch? Last night mine came apart! The chrome handle is just pressed into the pivot piece and this is where is came apart! I ended up using a carriage bolt with a little spacer to hold the thing together and it seems to be working just fine. I haven't put the chrome covers on as I have yet to get to it (just got it on the road and am having more fun driving it then working on it!), do the covers add anything to the assembly to keep this from happening?? Should I just bolt the passenger side together now??

Thanks,

Gratz

·
FFR Driver
2,154 Posts
Originally posted by gratz:
Has anybody had problems with the door latch? Last night mine came apart! The chrome handle is just pressed into the pivot piece and this is where is came apart! I ended up using a carriage bolt with a little spacer to hold the thing together and it seems to be working just fine. I haven't put the chrome covers on as I have yet to get to it (just got it on the road and am having more fun driving it then working on it!), do the covers add anything to the assembly to keep this from happening?? Should I just bolt the passenger side together now??

Thanks,

Gratz
This seems to happen often to some. The parts are just kind of pressed together. After a few repair attempts I just added a 5/16 bolt and lock nut as you did. The cover provides no added function to prevent it from falling apart. Might as well do the pass side now.

If the pass side breaks on the road, you don't want a young girl in a tight skirt to have to climb over the door to get in do you?

·
Registered
294 Posts
Dave

I have had the same problem-I repeened the handle back on along with some epoxy-fully expect it to happen again and will then use the bolt treatment. I have seen this come up fairly often-crappy english stuff-Lucas "Prince of Darkness" and so on quality. It is a wonder the handles stay together at all. The cover is just that-no ohter function except to get in the way of fixing the handle. Enjoy the driving-it is a blast!

Dave :D

·
Registered
727 Posts
I just used JB weld and a bolt/nut on mine. It now works great. This seems to be a very common problem.

Phil

·
1,539 Posts
My drivers side latch has never worked right. Once I am in the car and driving I forget all about it. Then when I go to get out the bad memory comes back. I guess you could say I am just living with it. :rolleyes:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts