Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need help taking the slack out of my door hinges. Would anyone with pics and descriptions of how to do this please post them.
Thanks as always.
Joey Harrington

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bill it's the door hinges on the pre Mark II cars. The slack that I refer to is the "play" that is present in the hinge. When the door is opened the end of the door will drop down a bit. I thought that I had seen a fix for this that involved drilling the hinge and installing a set screw. Now I need some details.
Thanks for the response.
joey h

·
The Traveler
3,104 Posts
Which pre Mark II hinge. There have been 3 versions of the door hinges and I've had them all!
The first is the welded on round sleeve that you put a rod down through - to tighten those up I used 2 set screws on the large plate from the door. The set screws tightened on the rod and worked OK to keep the doors steady - untill the round sleeves got worn!

Second version had bushings in the top and bottom of the hinges and the plate bolted to the frame. In that case I also put 2 set screws in the large plate that came from the door to the hinge - tightening up against the rod.

Third set of hinges I just got and these are the new Mark II set - I haven't worn them out yet! :D

·
3,701 Posts
There is a brass bushing at each end of the hinge, which allows the center piece to move back and forth slightly. What you need to do is force the top bushing down - so that it is tight against the center piece and then drill some holes for set scews to hold the bushing in place. (The top of the hinge is the end with the tab)

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have jsut done my ready for Knotts.

I have th ehinges shipped during last year

I ended up putting 4 set screws in each hinge, the first two went through the bushing and I blind tapped the holes for an 8/32 set screw. Before I put each set screw in I put a 1/8 ball bearing in first, hopefully this will make them last.

This improved the play a lot but still had some movement with the plate moving on the pin, I put the other two set screws in the plate and tightened them. All 4 screws I was able to do with the doors still on

1 - 6 of 6 Posts