Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Junior Charter Member
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As with many posts, I hope this saves a future builder alot of grief. After driving my Cobra the first couple of times, I could no longer stand my Autometer fuel gauge bouncing all over the place. I started researching the forum and uncovered talk of the mysterious "anti-slosh" unit. But how to get one and how to intall it?

Turns out the anti-slosh unit plugs into the back of the original Mustang gauge cluster. It is about 2"x3" and installed like credit card going into a reader, on the top right when looking at the gauges. Do yourself a favor and pull it out and install it before finalizing your dash. It was a big pain in the you know what putting it in after my interior and wiring was completely finished.

As for the install, very very simple. When you look at the face of the unit it has 5 spring type pins extending from it. There is a group of 3 and a group of 2. When looking down at them the group of 3 is on the left and the 2 on the right (this will be clear when you see it). For the sake of the install let's number them from left to right 1 through 5.

#1 - nothing
#2 - 12 volts swiched power (use the same wire that powers all the gauges)
#3 - ground (to the frame not the tank or sender)
#4 - signal input on the autometer gauge
#5 - input from the fuel tank sending unit.

Just solder some extension wires to the spring pins and connect them to the appropriate source. Be sure and wrap up the anti-slosh unit in a non conductive material to protect it.

Note that the fuel gauge will react very slowly if you are playing with the sending unit. To test it put the float in the empty, 1/2 full, and full positions while cycling the key on and off. If you don't cycle the key you will hardly notice the gauge moving (that's the point right)!

If you threw away the cluster already, go to your local junk yard or Ford dealer and get the anti-slosh unit. You will thank me later. If the parts guy doesn't know what you are talking about have him pull up a microfish of the cluster, its there. Unfortunately $94 if you through the old one out.

·
FFCobra Master Craftsman
8,694 Posts
Thanks for that. I still have to do this with the car on the road 3 years. Maybe this winter.

·
Banned
496 Posts
What model years are you talking about? My 03 instrument cluster does not have any slide in card. However, I have been thinking about how to wire the ultralite gauge to the cluster instead of directly to the fuel level sender.

·
Junior Charter Member
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What model years are you talking about? My 03 instrument cluster does not have any slide in card. However, I have been thinking about how to wire the ultralite gauge to the cluster instead of directly to the fuel level sender.
Yeah, sorry about that. I thought my signature said what year my donor was. My cluster came from a '90LX. I think the clusters were all the same from '87-93 regardless of lx, gt, or engine. I understand from the ford parts guy that I spoke with today, that many fords with analog gauges use a similiar set up. I am not sure where the anti-slosh component would be on your donor, but I would find it and disect it if you are using a stock sending unit. They are designed to work together.

In a previouse car I had a fuel cell and no anti-slosh. That worked fine because the fuel does not mover around in a fuel cell because of the foam.

·
Premium Member
2,100 Posts
I just wish mine would actually anti slosh!! When i am down to 1/4 tank and take a right turn at speed I run out of gas untill the fuel pump can catch up!!

·
Premium Member
18,585 Posts

·
FFCobra Fanatic
2,920 Posts
Yep, the older fox body cars had one. Here's a schematic of the dash module that was posted on a prior forum (seems pretty long ago, now)

·
Senior Charter Member
1,021 Posts
Is this in the gauge cluster? Anyone have a picture of it?

·
Premium Member
5,807 Posts
Is this in the gauge cluster? Anyone have a picture of it?
Gale,

I took this picture a long time ago at Build School, so I'm not exactly sure if this is the right part or not, but I remember asking about it and I labelled the picture 'sloshometer', so maybe someone can confirm that it is what I think it is from my (fuzzy) pic?

I think it is the small green 'card' on the back of this instrument cluster

Sean

·
Senior Charter Member
1,021 Posts
Thanks Travis and Sean,

When I took my donor gauge cluster out, I took the whole thing, so I ought to have that. But, you know how that can tend to go! :) I'll take a look tonight to see if I have something similar.

John, thanks for the schematic.

·
Junior Charter Member
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That definately is the module, but on my cluster it was just inserted into a slot and held by the pressure of the contacts. Kind of like the way a memory card is inserted into the motherboard of a computer. I guess there are different mounting methods throughout the years.

·
Registered
115 Posts
So I think the pinouts are wrong for this module. I am getting ready to install it and this is what I have determined.
Looking at the back of the module, connections on the top and group of two on the left / three on the right, the connections should be:
1 – N/C
2 – GND
3 – to Guage
4 - +12V
5 – From Sender
Here are the pics to back this up, just trace out the pins and I think you will agree.
http://s541.photobucket.com/albums/gg394/chazbell12/?action=view&current=DSCN0924.jpg
http://s541.photobucket.com/albums/gg394/chazbell12/?action=view&current=DSCN0923.jpg
You can see in one of the pics that there is a little shorting jumper that was cut out to disconnect sender and gauge and without this module that tab would remain. Anyway, that clearly indicates to me the circuit path for these two pins and not hard to determine that “s” means signal on the back of the cluster. “G” must be ground and “B” must be battery.
Anyway, hope this helps somebody else out.
And, this came out of an 87 GT.

·
Registered
843 Posts
i have a 86 cluster. it looks a bit different. any pictures of what i take off of it?

·
Registered
115 Posts
Not sure about the 86. If it has this module it will look similar to the circuit board in the picture in my post, or there is a post above mine that shows that module installed on the instrument cluster. Best thing to do is locate the fuel gauge "wiring" on the back of the panel and trace it out. If you have no module then perhaps 86 did not have this or it is located somewhere else.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts