Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
5,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Didn't have much success using a socket threaded over the cable to release the cable from the body. Anyone have any other techniques?

·
590 Posts
I used a 13mm flare nut wrench. Put it on, gave it a twist and voila.

You could also try using a nylon wire tie (zip tie). Cinch it down but leave a little room to start pushing the retainer through. Then, as you push it through the wire tie should slide off.

Good luck,
Walter.

·
\\\M3
2,299 Posts
I used a screwdriver or 2 to press the "arms" in so that they'd clear the hole in the body. Took a little work, but all said I think it took me 20 minutes to do both sides.

Brendan

·
Senior Charter Member
321 Posts
2Savage
I used a small zip tie around the cable to collapse the "arms" slipped right out.

·
5,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks all. Fore armed with all these techniques I sense victory.

Devildog, I love your idea; think I'll try that first. By the way, I also have a 36 foot sailboat called 'Savage' that I race in Long Island Sound. If you're ever in the area you should come race with us.

2Savage

·
Registered
49 Posts
savage are you racing in the offsoundings race to greenport this weekend?

MDFF

[ September 12, 2002, 11:15 AM: Message edited by: mdfirefighter ]

·
FFCobra Fanatic
1,717 Posts
I used a 17 year old. Much easier on me and he got to do all the griping.

·
5,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Not doing offsoundings. The yard just re-installed the keel after fixing a loose keel bolt. Rig goes in tomorrow and re-launch on Saturday. American Yacht Club Fall Series next two weekends then Manhasset Bay Fall Series for the finale. Also chartered for Key West Race Week.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Guess I won't be seeing you then. I think I remembered seeing a boat out there named savage but I didn't know who it belonged to. Small world. "Diva" USCGA

MDFF

·
Senior Charter Member
321 Posts
2Savage I would love to go racing with you all. This weekend I'm doing the Hospice Cup in Annapolis sailing on Voodoo. Although I must admit my racing has taken a back seat to Cobra building : )

·
5,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Cut 'em off? but these were obviously replaced recently and are almost new. Now that I'm armed with about 5 great methods I don't think I'll be need to be adding use of a hacksaw as the sixth.

Autozone is 15 minutes away, (1/2 hour dound trip) and the line at the cash register sucks. Don't you just hate shopping for 5 minutes and spending another 10 just paying for the stuff?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts