I am tempted to use the $400 for rear coil
overs instead of the rack.. Any comments
are always appreciated.

Thanks,

Dan

·
Premium Member
7,237 Posts
Lots of folks use the donor rack. Lots also use the donor rack to start with, then SOON upgrade to a true manual rack. ;) The effort is a little high. If you keep the donor rack, you might want to also keep the power steering. I used the stock donor power steering on the last one I built and it was NICE. :D

·
Senior Charter Member
1,086 Posts
I completely went through my donor rack cleaning and re-lubing everything, and painted it up pretty. You'll now find it for sale in the parts section with less than 350 miles on the car, just as Wade said... While usable and dirt cheap for a cost concious build, the donor rack has you anticipating low speed corners because the effort is a little high. At any speed, 25mph and up, I didn't mind the donor rack at all.

However, I decided I had too much time and money invested anyway, and bought a 18:1 Flaming River. Don't regret it one bit, and I didn't really want the extra clutter of power steering.

·
Junior Charter Member
1,066 Posts
Use it for a core and buy a manual rack from Autozone for $120. It will be the best money you spend on your build. There are lots of threads on doing this in the archives. - Frank

·
FFCobra Fanatic
2,920 Posts
Of course, you could keep it a power rack. Lot of folks have done that and are pleased! I wouldn't waste the $400 for the FR rack.

·
Registered
3,676 Posts
I have built mine with the donor rack as a manual. My plan is to do many, many upgrades over the next couple of years driven by my experience, steering, disk brakes, engine, transmission, etc.

After driving around the neighborhood a bit yesterday - low speed - I have decided to investigate the steering as a early upgrade. It moved up the priority a more than a little bit.

I will be looking real hard at the AZ manual rack. Right price for my budget build.

Just a little more to think about.

·
Premium Member
5,210 Posts
I used the donor rack for about 6 months. I then switched to a 15:1 FR.

The Autozone rebuilt manual rack is an 18:1. A little easier to turn but more turns lock to lock.

If you are on a budget then stick with the donor rack until you can afford to upgrade. Remember it is free.

Mike

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
Was going to go with the donor rack, cleaned it and got it looking like new, then thought about having to switch it out later and said, 'nah' may as well do it now and went with the 15:1 Flaming River Rack. Much easier to do it now than doing the dissasemble route later. Just my thoughts.

Allan

·
Justa Member
1,225 Posts
I drove my car with the stock rack for about 1000 miles, worked good but as stated a little difficult at lower speeds. I just switched to the Autozone rack $119.00 + $50 core (use donor rack as core). After driving with the rack all I can say is it is AWESOME. Worth every penny!!! Feels like power steering. And the rack looks pretty good. Easy to upgrade after the car is finished also. After seeing and using this rack I can't see spending the extra $$ for the Flamming River. Just my .02

·
Senior Charter Member
1,110 Posts
Anyone have the part number for the correct Autozone manual rack?

Thanks!

·
Junior Charter Member
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for all the great info! I really like the manual Autozone rack idea.. Does anyone have the
part number? Is this a nice looking aluminum
rack? I would rather do it now than wait and then
screw up the alignment when I upgrade..

·
FFCobra Craftsman
716 Posts
Why pay $139 plus $25 for shipping when you can get the Atsco 6812 from Automzone.com for $115 with free shipping? All you have to do is return you donor rack for the $50 core charge. And the Autozone rack has a warranty. It's a no brainer.

·
Junior Charter Member
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I am about to order... Will this rack perform
much better than the donor converted to manual?
Is this a 15:1 rack I wonder?

Below are the details.

Thanks again!!

Home > Shopping > RACK & PINION > Results
RACK & PINION

ATSCO RACK & PINION for a 1990 FORD MUSTANG
Unit Price: $114.99
Core Value*: $50.00
Part No.: 6812
Weight: 13.08 lbs.
Warranty: LLT
Availability: Online: Ships within 2 business days
Store: Special Order

Note:

·
FFR Driver
2,154 Posts
Cobra Earl has done a $hitload of research on this and posted some serious details. Do a search and find the info, there is a bit more to it.

I used the AZ 6812 and was am VERY happy with it. I believe I got the one nobody wants, but am very happy with it. I don't AX.

·
Junior Charter Member
1,066 Posts
Don't forget that when you change to the manual rack you will need a different u-joint that replaces the rag joint on the donor steering column. There are several places that sell it for less than $50. Check the 2003 archives for the part number.

·
Premium Member
6,413 Posts
Spend the money on the 18:1 Flaming River with universal joint.....I tried the power rack from the donor for about 200 miles....it would take Arnold you-know-who to parallel park...As stated earlier , the power rack is made for power steering...you can keep the power steering and use the original rack. The 15:1 rack is also harder to steer than the 18:1 , and unless you are racing autocross, you will appreciate the ease of steering at 18:1...
The Flaming River product is made beautifully too.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts