Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to this forum and have my first question. I have purchased and started to tear down my donor 1988 mustang 5.0 5 speed. I only have to pull the engine, tranny, driveshaft and suspension parts. My question is for you guys who have done the donor route. how should I go about removing the rear end and the front spindles? Reason I ask is that the body will be left standing on blocks for towing. I hate to damage the garage and driveway from dragging it. Thanks

·
consummate slacker
1,430 Posts
I used 4 jack stands up almost as high as they would go. By placing them just aft of the front wheels, and just fwd of the rears, the shell of the donor can be lifted by hand from either end once all of the parts are out, including all windows, doors, interior... that should be sold off. Then the shell can be lifted to back a flat tow trailer under it without the shell hitting the ground. BTW, how big is Butler, PA. I have an old Navy buddy that lives there that I haven't spoken to in 10+ years.
HTH

·
El Conquestador
1,089 Posts
I built furniture dollies with casters on (4) corners. Set the car on this, and it rolled right out of the gargae. I then used those same wheels for my body buck.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the quick responses guys. Butler is not that big. It is at least 1/5 the size of Pittsburgh, PA. I have no idea on population. However finding someone i dont think would be too hard. I think a large sort of dolly would work well for moving it and eventually haha a frame or body. Thanks fellas i am sure i will use this resource as items come up.

·
Junior Charter Member
693 Posts
Roger,

Put it up on jack stands while taking off all the parts, and then just slide 2 pairs of 4x4 posts under the frame - one set in front, one in back - and walk them forward as the tow truck winch pulls the carcass onto the flat bed.

I pulled my '87 carcass out of the back of a 6-car garage, and another 20 feet across the driveway to a point where the truck could reach.

I then cut the 4x4's down into 2-3' sections to slide under the Roadster frame at various times for protection should it somehow fall off the jack stands.

Enjoy the teardown. My son and I had a great time with that part of the project.

Brian

·
new
71 Posts
If you are scrapping the rest of the car put it on a car hauler remove rear and front spindles and haul the rest to scrap yard they'll remove it from the trailer

·
Premium Member
14,690 Posts
ohh yeah, I've done the "Come and pick up my free carcass, it's yours if you can haul it away" thing too.

It is more fun to cut it in tiny little pieces.
after you remove every single nut and bolt from it.

and I also removed every single nut and bolt from that one too.

:D

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
I used some round posts (approx. 5" diam.) under the car to roll it out of the garage. You can see them under the body-shell in this pic...

From there, the scrap metal truck just pulled it up the ramp with a winch...

-Jon A.

·
Junior Charter Member
3,131 Posts
I sold the carcass for $450 to a drag racer. He came with a flat bed trailer and we just slid it onto the trailer from off of the jack stands. Pete

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.