Factory Five Racing Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
FFCobra Fanatic
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the process of preping donor parts. Any advice on cleaning light surface rust? should i have parts sandblasted or just put a wire brush to it, then paint? i just dont want the rust coming back after painting.

·
\\\M3
2,299 Posts
I'm personally doing the same thing right now. I plan on doing a mix of Sandblasting and Wire Brushing depending on the parts. I'm painting a lot of parts and the FFR Fram with POR-15 which you're supposed to be able to use right over rust. Do a search here for POR 15 and check out their website to start.

POR 15 Web Site

Brendan

·
Registered
500 Posts
You can use a product called rust converter, You spray it onto surface rust and it turns it into a paintable suface.

·
Premium Member
1,205 Posts
Just used POR-15 for the first time and was very happy with the results. Used a piece of exterior exposed galvanized sheet metal as a test case (a/c duct transition box). I was absolutely impressed and plan to use it on my kit as well. There have been several posts on it's use and misuse. Please heed this advice:

Do not attempt to circumvent their instructions. To do so will invite failure (gee what a mess) of their coating to properly bond. You must use their pre treat materials. Also, if any parts are exposed to UV, you must use their paint (they do say others will work, but the additional post prep isn't worth it). Failure to paint exposed pieces results in a powdery finish you won't like. Also, exposure of the can to air will ruin whatever is left over in the can. Buy the 6-paks so you can use alittle at a time.

Good luck it is a great product when follow their instructions.

·
6,546 Posts
Por 15 works best on rusty surfaces.

Just degrease them and scrub them good with a good cleaner/degreaser. POR 15 will go right over the top of the rust.

You can also use metal ready on new parts to "rust" them so the POR will stick.

If you wind up using Marine Clean, WEAR GLOVES. :D

·
Registered
168 Posts
LSU
I think your talking about donor parts. POR is fine for raw metal like the frame, but I used a wire brush on my drill and a lot of Simple Green.It's more important to degrease than completely remove rust. Many parts like rear suspention are galvanized. To use good rust inhibiting primer and colors you like is more fun. I used Eastwood Detail Grey (very nice steely metallic)on most chassis accessories. If I did it again I might to get something similar locally.

Have fun, Gary

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.