Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to use the donor '93 gauges. Would like to know how well that works out. FFR says they are way back ordered and to go with the gauges they sell. I'm not a stickler for authentic gauges. Would like to save a few bucks.Thanks

·
FFCobra Fanatic
2,672 Posts
What FFR is out of is the gauge conversion kit. This has the bezels, glass, wires, etc. I think it's really the bezels that's the problem. I don't think they even have an ETA on when they're going to get some.

If you look at some of the build sites, you can see how they look. John Hudson did a really good job on his dash using the donor gauges.

·
Premium Member
14,690 Posts
The stock Mustang Gauges should work great, I have them in my MKI "Cobra4Me" and they are still performing great, you can see pictures of my dash HERE, only difference now my dash was signed by Legendary Racer Dick Smith back in 2003 in Vegas, but I have not removed or changed anything since finishing it. If they worked good in the Mustang they will also work excellent in the Roadster.

good luck

SERGIO
---------------------
"Project SuperCobra" underway....
2003 SVT Cobra Donor with only 5K miles

·
590 Posts
joebio, I think that no one will argue this. When you take a speedo from one car (mustang) and install it in another car (cobra), it is appropriate to set the odometer to the mileage of the car in which it is installed (0 miles).

Some will say you should never mess with an odometer.

I reset mine. My TX title says EXEMPT under mileage, because year is 1965, ie older than 10 years.

Cheers.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
4,257 Posts
You're titling and registering a new car, so your odometer can read zero. After running the 140mph speedo for a year, I lamented tossing the 85mph speedo. I street drive the car and can't tell if I'm going 35 or 40 with the numbers that close. I plan to make it even harder when I put in the reverse reading 180mph speedo. :D

·
FFCobra Fanatic
1,808 Posts
If you are talking about just the bezels, there must be hundreds of guys out there (myself included) that went with Autometer guages or SW and have the FFR supplied parts in a box somewhere. Let us know.

·
15,282 Posts
Mike's offer is really good, because as far as I know, the gauge conversion kit hasn't been available since something like at least March of 2004. I haven't heard any more about when they might become available again.

Cheers, John

·
Registered
366 Posts
Mine has gauges from a 93 Mustang and they look and work great. Try hard to get the lighting right (search the past archives on ways to achieve it) or you will have bright lights shinning below the dash.

·
he who lives by the sword. gets shot by those who
2,847 Posts
One more note to expand on the gage lighting subject, I know this was taken from a Chevy website, but it has some interesting info on how to brighten up your dash instruments using LED's vs. bulbs. Here is a link to the website:
http://www.thirdgen.org/newdesign/tech/leddash.shtml

Enjoy everyone!
Ben Smith

·
Premium Member
18,585 Posts

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
I still have 92 donor gauges in 1225. They worked in the donor car and continue with good service including a 100% accurate fuel gauge.

A couple years ago I built myself a new leather dash with beautiful Smith gauges. It gathers dust on my book shelf because I can't bring myself to take out something that works flawlessly.
Roger

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.