Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11,828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The engine in my donor has only been started a couple of times in the last year. I plan to have the engine rebuilt, but the motor will sit in my garage for 6 months before this happens. Is it worth it to run the engine, drain the old oil (syrup) and put in fresh oil before i pull it out?

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
I would change the oil. The acid in the old oil can cause corrosion that will increase the repair costs. I always change the oil prior to storing a car or engine.
Just my 2 cents
David W

·
7,134 Posts
6 months is not too long.

Drain the oil and if you do not fill again, make a sign to warn you it is empty - remove spark plugs and squirt a small amount of oil into each cylinder and hand turn the engine over. Put plugs back in. Close up all openings and tape shut.

Summit sells an engine bag if you think you need to cover it.

·
4,494 Posts
Assume that you are going to have to replace the injectors or at least their O-rings. Same with the valve stem seals. These tend to dry out.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
My donnor car was crashed in 93 so it sat for 11 years. It had no rad so it was not started more than a couple of times and only for a few minutes. In fact when I drained the oil in 2001 it was the factory fill, the oil filter had the Ford bar code on it with the car production date on it. The engine was on a stand in my garage for almost 3 years stored just like Zulu described and it runs just fine.
David W

1 - 5 of 5 Posts