Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After 2 years on the road, we're looking for an alternative to the Mustang headlight and 4-way flasher switches. Looking for a supplier and the wiring diagrams to convert. We're in Wisconsin and now is the time to affect changes. Thanks to all and Happy Holidays.
bob m.

·
FFCobra Craftsman
3,806 Posts
Bob, I used a GM, push-pull type headlight switch. It was $25 from Watson's Streetworks, p/n AA-HLS. It has a rheostat to dim the instrument lighting and a switch to control the courtesy light I installed in each footbox. The Mustang courtesy light circuit wiring requires a couple of snips and splices to work with the GM switch, but it's no big deal. Watson's web site is: www.watsons-streetworks.com
The Mustang hazard switch is basically a 3PDT switch. I replaced it with a 3PDT relay from MSC Industrial Supply, p/n 54038534. The relay can be controlled with any SPST switch. MSC's web site is: www.mscdirect.com
If you decide to use either one of these methods, I'll be happy to decribe what needs done to rewire. I don't have the ability to post my schematics.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
3,751 Posts
I went the Lucas toggle switch route. I kept good notes on the wire color pinouts if you are interested.

[ December 21, 2002, 03:04 AM: Message edited by: TNCobra ]

·
THRAMP-master
3,473 Posts
Paul - I'm interested in your hazard circuit; could you e-mail me how you did it, or post here for others?

·
FFCobra Craftsman
3,806 Posts
Bwana50, I'll try. The colors I give are for an '89 harness.
First the control circuit. I spliced into the R/W wire that supplies power to the hazard flasher from fuse #1. From there I was able to run power to one side of my SPST switch. The other side of the SPST switch goes to one side of the coil on the relay. The other side of the relay coil hooks to ground. I also hooked a EMF diode between the two wires that I ran to the relay coil. This prevents arcing and damage to the switch due to the collapse of the coil field when the switch is turned off. (A more detailed explanation is a post of it's own) The diode should be installed with the negative end (end with the stripe around it) attached to the wire that supplies power to the relay coil. The other end attaches to the coil ground wire.
The 3PDT relay has 3 power input terminals and 6 possible power output terminals. (this is not including the coil terminals) Three of the outputs are "hot" when the relay is energized (coil is powered). The other three are "hot" when the relay is relaxed. (does that make sense?) Attach the LB wire from the Mustang hazard switch to one of the power inputs. Put the O/Y wire from the Mustang switch on the output terminal that will connect to the LB wire when the relay is relaxed. Next, attach the W/R wire from the donor switch to both of the remaining power input terminals. Attach the O/LB and W/LB wires to one of the output terminals that will receive power from the W/R wire when the relay is energized. Attach the LG/O and the LG/W wires to the other output terminal that will receive power from the W/R wire when the relay is energized.
A 3PDT relay has a total 11 terminals on it. In this application you should have 3 unused terminals.
Any questions???? Feel free to ask. It is hard to describe an electrical circuit in text. If this is completely unclear, perhaps I can get a friend to scan my schematic onto the forum.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts