• My donor is a JETTA

Votes: 8 50.0%
  • My donor is a GOLF

Votes: 3 18.8%
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
15,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, you may or may not wish to participate in this thread, but a lot of people are going to be curious about real-world prices for donor vehicles for the G3F project. I just got a donor, and figured I'd start a poll. You can say as much as you want about year, model, options, and exact price, or you can just pick a range in the poll and leave it at that.

Also note the last two choices. Please indicate if you are using a JETTA or a GOLF donor. The poll is supposed to allow you to pick multiples. Please only pick one price range and one donor model to keep the data as clean as possible. Thanks!

If you have actually purchased a car you intend to use as a donor, your input here would be appreciated by lots of potential builders and others scanning the landscape for a reasonably-priced donor.

Cheers, John

·
Registered
180 Posts
I just picked up an 01 Jetta for my donor. It has 238K miles on it and running a bit sluggish. I found the timing set way retarded, I suspect a Mark and Pray TB job was done last time it was done. Also based on throttle/turbo response that the MAF is on it's way out. The car needs the timing belt changed in the next 5K miles, all 4 brakes done and there is a slight leak in the exhaust I have not located yet. I paid $3K for it and drove it 2 hrs home. It also has a roof rack and tow hitch which I have been wanting and will be putting on my Golf. Once I get it back to stock performance... and get the almost new snow tires off of it and some good tires on it... then it will be mod time. :)

·
Registered
304 Posts
I've had my golf since new. $16,500 back in '05. KBB value sits at $8000 - but I'd never sell it.

·
Premium Member
2,287 Posts
Mine is a '00 Jetta VR6 5 speed 115k miles with a bad motor for $1200 - which is fine since I am building a GOOD motor for it! :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Picked up my 01 Jetta 5 speed TDI w/189k for $2400. It was running a little warm going down the road, i suspected the water pump and had a complete 100k TB job performed. Runs great now. Wanting to cut off the cat and do a couple of other minor mods this week.

·
Premium Member
821 Posts
donor cost

I paid 5k even for the green jetta 4 dr i am building the prototype out of. 110k on the clock

mark

·
Registered
55 Posts
2001 Jetta

Just found this Forum, and I like it!

Picked up my donor Sunday, re-timed it (TB guy did not have VCDS), and repaired loss of power above 3000 RPM (bad MAF).

Running pretty good now, but still not as quick as my '03.

I'm a hyper miler, so my shakedown cruise will be at 55-60 MPH to assess how she does "right out of the box". It has been my experience that all ECU's are not created equal, and I'm curious as to how this one performs. I'm getting more smoke right now than I would like, so I will probably adjust the IQ before the shakedown.

Registered the car yesterday and was able to acquire North Carolina plate "G3F". It will look a little funny on the stock Jetta, but will be there probably 'til next spring.

Time to go Builder shopping. I'm a senior guy and not willing to take on the build (keeping the other two "kit cars" on the road keeps me busy).

Also shopping for Leather interior parts. If anyone sees a deal on tan seats and door cards, please let me know.

Thanks

1 - 8 of 8 Posts