Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Pro FFR Builder and Moderator
14,825 Posts
It really depends on what you want to build. There are as many ways to build as builders. It may be in your best interest not to use a donor at all.

· Registered
1,267 Posts

· Registered
1,267 Posts
It may be in your best interest not to use a donor at all.
Well, I estimate 90% of the 7000 FF5 roadsters are donor builds...:wrench::bbs::wrench:

· USN SEABEES RETIRED.
1,800 Posts
For $$$ saving, check out craigslist in your area (where are you located?). As an example: 1996 Cobra with front end damage $2500, located in San Diego area............... search and find what you need.

· Registered
4,738 Posts
I don't think a donor Chevy will be cost effective.
Most guys are using the '87 - 95' 5.0L pushrod engines or the '96 + modular motors. These donors also provide transmissions, rear-ends, front spindles, brakes, pedal assemblies, power steering and brakes, and various other parts. Some better suited than others.

My personal preference has been a combination of years.

I'd recommend starting with a build plan to determine your needs / desires, then determining your approach.

Here's mine, if this helps:
MPTech Build Plan

· Registered
4,854 Posts
In order to answer your question effectively we need to know your plans for the car.

Once we have that you will get opinions based one each individuals experience. Personally I had a very good experience with my first build using a 1989 Mustang. I have since used 4.6 SOHC and DOHC motors. They are awesome as well.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.