Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have been looking for a wrecked 5.0 6 speed mustang GT as a donor for a 33 build- is this a good idea or a waste of time? I found a few with less than 30K that auction for about 15-20K. I would only use the drive train and sell off everything else. I am as nervous as a cat on a hot tin roof. - maybe a crate engine and a junker 6 speed would be better? Thanks for any input. :scared:

·
Registered
414 Posts
I wouldn't do a donor if I had to do it again. I did use a donor myself but in the end pretty much replaced everything...and it was a waste.

·
Lay posi
1,219 Posts
I built a donor MKIII roadster, but I wouldn't use a donor on a 33. IMO the roadster base kit is better suited for a donor car. Like many others, I wouldn't do a donor car again, however I am glad the my first build was a donor car. I learned a lot just taking the donor apart. Little details like the e-brake assembly and the best way to mount the radiator made for a good learning experience. The 33 however is a different than the base roadster kit in that there aren't as many donor parts that can be used on the 33.

Wibby

·
Registered
41 Posts
All valid points but it's also about the budget for some of us so therefore it becomes about the deal. I was able to take my time and shop around. I ended up buying a running doner which was a 1985 Mustang GT with a rebuilt 302 (306) and a T5 tranny. Wait for the rest of the story before you took your eyes!??. It was a daily driver and document to support an engine rebuild less than 5000 miles ago, the T5 was new (receipt proven) and I was able to drive the car and have it checked by a couple of mechanics ( which I am not!). I visited Mustang Central in Byron Ga. where the rebuild had been performed and felt very confident about the condition of the engine.

The tranny was tight and shifted flawlessly! The only drawback was the rear end, it was a 4 lug. No problem, pulled the engine and T5 and took the rolling chassis to MPS in Statham Ga. I also bought another wrecked mustang rolling chassis from another guy and it had the correct rear end. I also took it to MPS and did a little Georgia horse trading! Get to the point you say? Ok!

Bottom line:

Paid $2,500 for first Mustang
Paid $ 700 for second one

Gave both (minus engine and tranny) to MPS ( those guys are great!)

MPS built a FFR rearend ( as seen on their website and eBay store) and I walked out with it!

Bottom Bottom line:

Complete driveline for $3,200 and plenty of power in the 302!! I'm happy but most of all, the wife is not mad!!! But the great thing about this 33 is you can do it your way!!! I happen to be lucky enough to live near some great resources ( did I mention, 35 miles from Summit Racing in McDonough Ga. !!) and was able to find a great deal!

·
Registered
414 Posts
Yeah..if you can stick to your budget it isn't a bad idea. I bought a 92 GT for 2700..got the engine..transmission and rear end ..in the end was for pretty much free but as time went on and I got more money I changed things..sold off all the EFI stuff and switched to carb...switched to another carb..switched to EFI..rebuilt everything..etc. You really need to ask yourself...are you going to be happy with a donor engine that may or may not have a bunch of rusty parts and grimy hoses that you will need to replace or refinish?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Great point! I guess I should mention I had some free "confined" labor to clean and paint the engine!! But they had fun doing it! Bob's right! If you plan on upgrades and changes it would probably be wise to go new from the start. I'm able to stick to the budget because I sure as heck can't afford a divorce!!?

·
Registered
97 Posts
I am with some of the others above. I went the donor way. I think if you have history of the donor ( family, friend ) or if the person selling it lets you take it to get looked at before you buy it( which most are not really willing to do ) than the donor is good. It is a gamble otherwise. I found this out. I looked over the best i could in the persons driveway but you cant really do a compression check or anything like that there on the spot. Needless to say I would have ended up rebuilding the engine and tranny but when i found this out i started looking for other options. I ended up selling the roller for almost what i bought it for ( it had alot of extra goodies on it which helped ). I ended up getting another T5 from the junk yard that had low miles on it for $90 and than rebuilt it with a rebuild kit just to make sure it doesnt have to come back out. The engine I found on the local ads from a guy who is going 351. It was a 306 with keith black pistons, afr heads, comp cams rockers and all the other goodies for a steal. I am going multi port efi. I search ebay and the paper every 2-3 days and thats how i found the multi port for 1/4 the cost. It is almost brand new. So I guess donor is ok if you really know what you are getting if not just wait and find pieces to your build as they come. I have a list ( that is getting smaller slowly) that i just search for every so often and when i find something i get it. There are def things that you just have to buy new though. My build is not going super fast so I have time to search lol. Good luck with your build

·
Registered
724 Posts
I have had good luck with donor stuff. I never bought a complete car just because of the space it took up and the labor of getting the useable stuff out. I use Cleveland pick a part. ( Tim) is the sales guy. They have tons of mustang stuff ready to go. They ship or deliver in a covered trailer anywhere in the states.I bought the C-6 rolling chassis complete with wiring and all the little gizmos like emergency brake cables shifter and all the engine stuff for 9K. All guaranteed and documented which is VERY important. Give them a look on the net Glenn

·
Senior Charter Member
798 Posts
I used donor for my roadster as that is what my budget allowed. As time went on I changed things, rebuilt the motor, etc. The 33 was a donor rearend from MPS. The motor is all new parts as well as the T5 was rebuilt. That is all that is needed for the 33, other than the fuel tank from Boyds. You get the complete front suspension and rear shocks, wiring harness, etc. You just need a motor, tranny and rear. Easy to source out from MPS. I wouldn't take the time to tear down a donor for the 33.

·
Registered
4,874 Posts
I basically scratch built my Cobra (no, it's not a FF5) and I did a lot of my shopping online and on craigslist. If you are careful and patient, craigslist can be a great source of parts you need for very little money. If you know anything about motors, trannys, etc... you can weed out the problem pieces yourself. If not, bring someone with you who knows how to check out the parts you're interested in.
Be prepared to rebuild some parts, clean some up and repaint them, or just plain strip some down to bare assemblies and reassemble as needed. Not really hard to do and a great learning experience. I built my engine (351W/393 stroker- approx. 515 hp ), rebuilt my rear end (Tbird IRS differential and CV's) and installed the S10 modification on my T5 to relocate the shifter unit. None of these projects were difficult to do with the resources available and you can save some serious money. The 351W was built for around $3500, including the machine work, Vic Jr. heads, stroker parts, etc.....

In any case, have fun with the build. Don't be afraid to ask questions, there are lots of experienced guys here who just love to help you spend your money.

Have you ordered your kit yet?

Bob

·
Registered
22 Posts
Donor parts

Personally I would check with MPSautosalvage.com in Winder GA, Formerly Stangparts.net (Till Ford got Janky and sued)

They have thousands of mustangs from easy to fix cars to never driven on the road again they got it. And they have tons of "Kit car Kits" and every mustang part you can imagine.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I went a donor route cause for me it was easier. I bought a 02 Crrown Vic with a blown transmission for 500$. I spent 1 day to remove the powertrain, wiring harness, Ecu and everything that would be needed to start the motor. Sold the body and remaining parts for 300 at the recycling yard. They even came to pick it up.
I rebuilt and upgraded the transmission. Installed all new clutches, seal kit, shift kit and a 2500rpm torque converter.
Rebuilt and modified the 4.6. Flat top oversised pistons, bigger camshaft, ported the heads...
All together cheaper than a performance crate motor but I did all the work .

Spiro.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I went a donor route cause for me it was easier. I bought a 02 Crrown Vic with a blown transmission for 500$. I spent 1 day to remove the powertrain, wiring harness, Ecu and everything that would be needed to start the motor. Sold the body and remaining parts for 300 at the recycling yard. They even came to pick it up.
I rebuilt and upgraded the transmission. Installed all new clutches, seal kit, shift kit and a 2500rpm torque converter.
Rebuilt and modified the 4.6. Flat top oversised pistons, bigger camshaft, ported the heads...
All together cheaper than a performance crate motor but I did all the work .

Spiro.
I always wanted to do this with a P71 package car (Police interceptor) or Mercury Marauder as the engines are built heavier and the ECU is calibrated for better performance.

·
Junior Charter Member
592 Posts
Everyone has an opinion, but if the OP wants to build a Coyote car, you could just buy a new Coyote and 6 speed for less than the kind of money you are talking about for a wreck. Then you don't have to part the wrecked car, and you have brand new parts, and less money spent. Sure, you might get something for the rest of the wreck, but the money parts on a wrecked Coyote Mustang are the engine and drivetrain, which you are going to take out for yourself.

As to parting out Foxes, I'm personally against it because I'd sooner see those cars brought back and put on the road, but that's a philosophical position I guess.

-Matthew

·
Registered
4,857 Posts
For a 33 Build I would not recommend a donor. You can purchase a motor and trans and rearend brand new for less than the costs you are suggesting for the donor.

However, you may be able to sell off some of to recoup your cost.

be aware you will need the Ford racing control pack as you cannot use the returnless fuel systom on the hot rod. This will add to your total cost by $1500 or so.

·
Premium Member
9,665 Posts
Everyone has an opinion, but if the OP wants to build a Coyote car, you could just buy a new Coyote and 6 speed for less than the kind of money you are talking about for a wreck. Then you don't have to part the wrecked car, and you have brand new parts, and less money spent. Sure, you might get something for the rest of the wreck, but the money parts on a wrecked Coyote Mustang are the engine and drivetrain, which you are going to take out for yourself.

As to parting out Foxes, I'm personally against it because I'd sooner see those cars brought back and put on the road, but that's a philosophical position I guess.

-Matthew
I agree with all of this ^^^^^^

·
Registered
724 Posts
If I were going to build another FF 33 and only needed the engine, trans and rear end I would buy all new like the first one I did. With the LS2 and 4l60e trans and Currie 9 inch rear with brakes I believe I had 20K there than I had to buy wheels and tires shifter and EB etc etc. after that.
On the second one I bought the C-6 rolling chassis and got all that plus the wheels and tires and rear brakes with EB for 9k and out of that I sold the fuel tanks and front suspension for 2K so I paid 7K for the whole deal.So it just depends on what you want to do.The 15 K I saved paid for the stage 11 kit and just about everything else.
I do like my first one best because its all new and I just feel better driving it knowing just what I have versus a salvage yard special that there is no telling what happened to get it there so soon.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts